KDE Plasma 5.9 Being Released In One Month With Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Thanks, that shit really annoyed the hell out of my wife when she was on KDE.
    And with this is 3 people that are uncapable of opening a fucking settings menu. Really, life there must be horrible.

It's not like you need to waste 3 hours to set up your system from scratch.

Dolphin Files seems "evolved" instead of "designed".
    Bullshit nonsense, by default it works the same as GNOME's, but can be customized if needed.

GTK on Plasma feels half assed and out of place, especially when X app has a totally different File Chooser than Qt apps.
    GTK themes that look like KDE are long since default non-KDE-application themes in KDE.

(WTF Is a KDENLIVE?)
    A video editor?

Activity Journal
    Korganizer

Geary
    Kmail
    Evolution
    Kontact
    Documents,
    lol, folders aren't enough?
    Lollypop is bomb
    Juk or Dragon player, but there are 4 zillion music players out there anyway.
    Terminix
    Not gnome-specific
    Eye of Gnome is simple
    Meh, Gwenview provides the same basic functionality without doing more clicks, plus you can do (much) more if you need it.
    Evince
    Okular does the same.

Comment

... Maybe GNOME is right, maybe their users are in fact distraction prone idiots.

Thanks, that shit really annoyed the hell out of my wife when she was on KDE.

Every time I try KDE it's "almost there" for me. To this day I can't find a Application Launcher that is as simple and functional as Slingshot. Their Fullscreen App Menu on 43" 4k looks aweful.

At the end of the day I always trade these "amazing new features" for "functional", "simple" and reasonable stability.

Plasma Shell has always seemed nice but the KDE Apps is where KDE usually looses me.

Dolphin Files seems "evolved" instead of "designed".
      You're complaining that a file manager that looks and acts like every other important file manager out there and in fact operates in the exact same manner as GNOME Files feels "evolved" instead of designed... are you serious or trolling?
      Amarok has always felt like a nightmare when being accustomed to a iTunes style music library.
      Well there's your problem right there. Also you do realize that... oh I don't know... Amarok isn't the only music player you can use if you're on KDE, there's also Clementine which'll probably give you what you want.
      GTK on Plasma feels half assed and out of place, especially when X app has a totally different File Chooser than Qt apps.
      Right Right... so something that is and has always been a GNOME problem is continuing to be blamed on KDE. Tell GNOME to fix their toolkit, the problem lies in GTK refusing to acknowledge the existence of other toolkits and environments, nowhere else.

Then there are home-run KDE apps like Krita and KDenlive (WTF Is a KDENLIVE?)
      So as a GNOME user you have it installed but are too afraid to open them. Krita is a painting program that is part of the Calligra suite, Kdenlive is a non-linear video editor. GNOME has it's own much cut down version of a video editor in case you were wondering, though I can't remember them having a painting program.

Gnome on the other hand has apps that help me use my Linux for business - Activity Journal, Geary, Evolution, Documents, Lollypop is bomb, Terminix, Eye of Gnome is simple, Evince gets out of my way and displays PDFs cleanly.
      "GNOME on the other hand has applications that KDE also has it's own versions of"
      I hope you realize that's exactly what you're saying there. Though at this point I really really wouldn't be surprised.
      Obviously I've become accustomed to Gnome by now and it's not flawless either - I just wish for once that KDE could take some UX classes or something and have all those cool features available and turned off until the user decides they want them.
      How about you grow up instead?

Comment

I don't know, I'm pretty much a KDE made man, but I don't have a problem with people using Gnome, even if for the wrong reasons.
        That said, I tried Fedora 25 this week with its Gnome default and I couldn't believe how bad Files still is. It literally took me several minutes to find out how to navigate to /. Fwiw, I have always found Norton Commander-style file managers easier to use while Windows Explorer-style mostly gets in my way.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I don't know, I'm pretty much a KDE made man, but I don't have a problem with people using Gnome, even if for the wrong reasons.
          That said, I tried Fedora 25 this week with its Gnome default and I couldn't believe how bad Files still is. It literally took me several minutes to find out how to navigate to /. Fwiw, I have always found Norton Commander-style file managers easier to use while Windows Explorer-style mostly gets in my way.
          Then switch Dolphin for Krusader. You'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            It uses something like 200MB on a fresh session, how much is acceptable for you?
            200MB you say? neon-useredition-20161229-1018-amd64.iso :

Buffers totally flushed, no applications running at all (only konsole), 700MB memory usage on fresh start. "200MB", my arse.

Let's break it up by processes:

Plasmashell - 177MB
            Krunner - 130MB
            kwin_x11 - 109MB

Yeah, lean as hell. Learn to lie more convincingly.

As for visual glitches? Some themes are broken, various plasmoids have bugs.

Segfaults? KWin has crashed/Plasma has crashed - Google the last month for either of these two queries. Discover dozens of incidents.

Try again.
            Last edited by birdie; 31 December 2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Segfaults? KWin has crashed/Plasma has crashed - Google the last month for either of these two queries. Discover dozens of incidents.
              Totally given up on KDE because of this, both on radeon opensouce and nvidia binary drivers crashing.
              they should junk the code and start again imo.

Comment

When will they start working on decreasing memory usage, fixing segfaults and visual glitches?
                Your troll from 2009 is no longer relevant. Move along please.

Comment

Buffers totally flushed, no applications running at all (only konsole), 700MB memory usage on fresh start. "200MB", my arse.

Let's break it up by processes:

Plasmashell - 177MB
                  Krunner - 130MB
                  kwin_x11 - 109MB

Yeah, lean as hell. Learn to lie more convincingly.

Try again.
                  Well, TBH if <1,000 MB OS mem usage is a requirement, then you should likely be running Damn Small Linux or Puppy, etc. with Enlightenment or some other slim window manager. It's 2017 - 16+ mb is pretty standard. Jesus, sometimes Linux users are the whiniest most biased people ever. I saw ppl on another thread bemoaning the fact that major Linux distros are moving away from i386. All I can say is "thank God". More dev resources available for more important projects. OFC there will always be specialized distros for those who think there PowerPC or 2002 Intel PII should still play Youtube, blazingly browse the web, and play Steam Games.

Comment

Plasmashell - 177MB
                    Krunner - 130MB
                    kwin_x11 - 109MB
                    How in the heck are you getting 130MB from Krunner again? I get around 70 kib and I didn't even drop caches.

"Some" like what? "Various" like?

Many of them caused by people using crappy decoration from KDE4 not updated for KDE5, I guess.

Comment

Why are you counting buff/cache?!

Comment

Working...
                      X