Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HandBrake 1.0 OSS Video Transcoder Released: VP9 & Opus Support

Phoronix: HandBrake 1.0 OSS Video Transcoder Released: VP9 & Opus Support

After more than one decade in development, the developer crew behind the HandBrake open-source video transcoder software finally released version 1.0 this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no hardware encoding on Linux?

Comment

Stopped caring about Handbrake when they removed xvid/avi support out of elitism. Or to be able to fit the program on floppy disk? Probably not, elitism it is.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Stopped caring about Handbrake when they removed xvid/avi support out of elitism.
        While I agree that is shitty of them, the Flatpak support is pretty cool

Comment

What about VidCoder? At this state, maybe VidCoder will fork HandBrake and surpass the project it got inspired on. But VidCoder is only for Windows platforms and developed in .NET

Comment

Stopped caring about Handbrake when they removed xvid/avi support out of elitism.
            Hmm. Old out of date xvid, and a Microsoft container format. Are you converting to this, or from this?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              But VidCoder is only for Windows platforms and developed in .NET
              That should kill it.

Comment

Stopped caring about Handbrake when they removed xvid/avi support out of elitism. Or to be able to fit the program on floppy disk? Probably not, elitism it is.
                Elitism? AVI is incapable of handling non-constant bitrate streams (stands for audio/video interleave) because variable bitrates will cause a desynchronization (the size of the data varies over time so the container can't handle it). This was a problem for both audio and video. Maintaining the GUI with nice options would require more disabling things to support AVI which would make it more confusing. Certainly we can get to the Gnome took too much out point, but MKV and OGG can handle variable streams, and MP4 is simply required because Apple is too ubiquitous.

As to the XVID, x264 and x265 displaced it long ago as almost any "smart" device handles h264 base profiles at a minimum. So what device or machine are these XVID AVI files for? The Dreamcast disk player?

Comment

The Windows version finally moved away from a GUI front end to the CLI. That was the main reason I started using VidCoder.

Comment

I wonder if they've added support for container shifting without re-encoding the video stream. Matroska is technically great it lacks support on many platforms while MP4 is widely supported. Transforming srt to mov_text would be required too.

Too late for me anyway since I'm in too deep with ffmpeg and its cli options.

I hate how the use of h265 proliferates even though it is poorly supported by hardware and software. I've ended up transcoding h265 -> h264 for Chromecast support a few times.

Comment

Working...
                    X