Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK3 Work Towards EGL X11 Support, GTK4 Vulkan Merged

Phoronix: GTK3 Work Towards EGL X11 Support, GTK4 Vulkan Merged

GNOME developers continue work on the GTK4 tool-kit while GTK3 is still set to receive some improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that was quick. It'll be interesting to see if the Vulkan backend actually offers any performance improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Not much of a suprise. Kwin gave up, the GDK-backend gonna put up. Kwin lack on code quality and maintainership.
      Sounds like you are a fanboi - It will be interesting to see how the EGL backend goings and whether or not they run into the same bugs as KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        Wow, that was quick. It'll be interesting to see if the Vulkan backend actually offers any performance improvements.
        I agree! I wonder what sort of power savings might be possible...

Comment

For now no performance improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Not much of a suprise. Kwin started first, the GDK-backend gonna trail it as usual. GDK-backend lack on code quality and maintainership, that's why they never go first on things.

BTW KDE 5.8 was just released a few months ago. A great start for long term support on KDE. Now available on most dists, including Debian.
            fixed.

EDIT: fixed again.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 December 2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

A few weeks ago? Months would be more correct.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I think i will move to gnome, they are doing good work now. KDE lack of supporting EGL/Streams and buggy plasma desktop is starting to lose my patience with it.

Comment

Working...
                X