X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    The market for these suites is shrinking fast. Between Google's Docs that cover the basics for most users and Microsoft's Office which is now available online (thus usable from Linux), the space for hobby projects is just not there any more.
    (And yes, I know you can't use Google's Docs for DTP.)
    Fortunately, devleopers often don't write code because it's practical or even desired, but simply to scratch their own curiosity, interest or add the feeling of atonomy to their life. And some time after a project is born it starts to pick up professional characteristics that allow it to compete.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Words in particular has been neglected since the split of koffice and calligra, since it was the kword maintainer that stayed with koffice.
    The KWord maintainer was the sole reason for the split. It's not like he managed to get anything done with KWord on his own.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    As today's screens are wide, that wide screen real estate is used, instead of the vertical one. That allows managing more information (and better) when working with pages.
    Agree with this! Microsoft’s “Ribbon” originated before today’s widescreen monitors became popular. It is looking distinctly antiquated nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• Mavman
    replied
    Calligra, for me, is one great project.
    It's sad they have so few manpower and, because of that, lack so many features.

However they have a great code base, well design and modern unlike other old office suites.

About the User Interface, for me, it's the best of all and the only that makes sense...

Best wishes for all the developers and a big thanks for their work

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    > having all the usual toolbars on the right rather than at the top where every other word processor has them is counter intuitive.

As today's screens are wide, that wide screen real estate is used, instead of the vertical one. That allows managing more information (and better) when working with pages.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    > That may be, but it opens Office documents right.

Some yes, some not, as people end up seeing. The code of Office 365 is different, it's not the same code that the usual Office uses.

P.S.: Microsoft Office 365 woes: Constant crashes, malware macros – and settings from Hell

Last edited by Nth_man; 05 December 2016, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Except it’s Office 365 that looks like the “hobby project” ...
    That may be, but it opens Office documents right. Because, sadly, that's all it takes.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
    Documents I open in libreoffice are frequently completely fucked.
    That’s normal for Microsoft Office. The formatting depends on the chosen printer, so even moving the same document between different machines running Microsoft Office is fraught.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    the space for hobby projects is just not there any more.
    Except it’s Office 365 that looks like the “hobby project” ...

Leave a comment:

• SaucyJack
    replied
    The only reason I keep calligra is that it has much better Microsoft format support than libreoffice. Documents I open in libreoffice are frequently completely fucked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X