No announcement yet.

Calligra 3.0 Is Ready As A Qt5 / KDE Frameworks 5 Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having not looked at this for many many years... good on them.
    I feel it would be great for the devs to team up with LibreOffice though.
    Such a massive project, don't see the need to so many.

Comment

Nice. I wonder if it compiles under x32, because it would go great in the low-power LXQt netbook.

Comment

The only reason I keep calligra is that it has much better Microsoft format support than libreoffice. Documents I open in libreoffice are frequently completely fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          the space for hobby projects is just not there any more.
          Except it’s Office 365 that looks like the “hobby project” ...

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
            Documents I open in libreoffice are frequently completely fucked.
            That’s normal for Microsoft Office. The formatting depends on the chosen printer, so even moving the same document between different machines running Microsoft Office is fraught.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Except it’s Office 365 that looks like the “hobby project” ...
              That may be, but it opens Office documents right. Because, sadly, that's all it takes.

Comment

> That may be, but it opens Office documents right.

Some yes, some not, as people end up seeing. The code of Office 365 is different, it's not the same code that the usual Office uses.

P.S.: Microsoft Office 365 woes: Constant crashes, malware macros – and settings from Hell

Last edited by Nth_man; 05 December 2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

> having all the usual toolbars on the right rather than at the top where every other word processor has them is counter intuitive.

As today's screens are wide, that wide screen real estate is used, instead of the vertical one. That allows managing more information (and better) when working with pages.

Comment

Calligra, for me, is one great project.
                    It's sad they have so few manpower and, because of that, lack so many features.

However they have a great code base, well design and modern unlike other old office suites.

About the User Interface, for me, it's the best of all and the only that makes sense...

Best wishes for all the developers and a big thanks for their work

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                      As today's screens are wide, that wide screen real estate is used, instead of the vertical one. That allows managing more information (and better) when working with pages.
                      Agree with this! Microsoft’s “Ribbon” originated before today’s widescreen monitors became popular. It is looking distinctly antiquated nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                      X