No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 5.3 Beta Available For Beta Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Office Ribbon was designed before modern widescreen monitors became popular. On such monitors, vertical space is in shorter supply than horizontal space. And the Ribbon wastes this precious vertical space.

Compare the LibreOffice Sidebar, which takes advantage of the more abundant horizontal space. That is a more modern UI layout.

Comment

Ribbon is completely crap. It's only preferred by users whose brain was washed by using M$ products too long.
      If you do some serious work in Excel/Words and used LO before you would recognize pretty fast how bad Ribbon is.
      Be happy that the LO devs will provide it an option.

Regarding the performance issues I have to say that starshipeleven is right. You waste your time by registering, complaining and trolling here. If you would be interested in a real alternative to your holy M$ office cow, you would contribute to LO by filing bug reports.
      Mostly it's a problem for the devs to get sample data which cause the issue. So use your data, anonymize it and file a bug report for the devs.
      But doing nothing and complaining about how broken everything is, is idiotic. If you can register here, you can register at the bug tracker. If you can write here, you can write to the bug-tracker. If you can't, don't complain.

Comment

Oh. New feature for pivot tables in calc (that doesn't exist in excel apparently) http://zolnaitamas.blogspot.com/2016...on-median.html

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          The 5.3 beta Packages *are* the packages provided by LibreOffice.org. I usually go for the LibreOffice.org packages frist. And I doubt this to be a driver issue otherwise everything else running on this system ends up crawling. Btw: Radon on this Notebook using the driver stuff that Fedora installs by default.
          Actually at least in my case, LibreOffice calc hit some weird nVidia driver code path that was only being used by the Fedora RPM (don't ask me why and how). Using the LO RPMs somehow used a different code path (Different library version?)

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I
            t

W
            o
            r
            k
            s
            !!
            *rotates monitor*

Ah, good to hear.

*rotates back*
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              Ribbon is completely crap. It's only preferred by users whose brain was washed by using M$ products too long.
              If you do some serious work in Excel/Words and used LO before you would recognize pretty fast how bad Ribbon is.
              Be happy that the LO devs will provide it an option.

Regarding the performance issues I have to say that starshipeleven is right. You waste your time by registering, complaining and trolling here. If you would be interested in a real alternative to your holy M$ office cow, you would contribute to LO by filing bug reports.
              Mostly it's a problem for the devs to get sample data which cause the issue. So use your data, anonymize it and file a bug report for the devs.
              But doing nothing and complaining about how broken everything is, is idiotic. If you can register here, you can register at the bug tracker. If you can write here, you can write to the bug-tracker. If you can't, don't complain.
              To me, all 'the ribbon' (a decidedly stupid name for what ) is just tabs.

That's it. They didn't invent the things. They just implemented them. Sure, they're ridiculous looking and take up monumental amounts of horizontal real estate inthe default setting, but there was nothing incredibly new about them when they came out in 2006 (MS Office 2007).
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

In what way? I dread the day it gets The Ribbon™.
                The Ribbon is hard to adapt to, but once you do, it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

That's it. They didn't invent the things. They just implemented them. Sure, they're ridiculous looking and take up monumental amounts of horizontal real estate inthe default setting, but there was nothing incredibly new about them when they came out in 2006 (MS Office 2007).
                  Yes and no. Tabs did not exist in Internet Explorer when they invented the ribbon!! (true story)

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    I'll tell you, it's not tabs, it's TILES.

It was a hint of what was yet to come (windows 8), wastage of space because bigger buttons are better for touch (on a device witout a touchscreen).

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yes and no. Tabs did not exist in Internet Explorer when they invented the ribbon!! (true story)
                      No, not in the MS world they didn't. They were 'inspired' as we all are, from competition. I remember using Maxthon for aan IBM job tracking system that only really worked with IE6. Maxthon made it bearable to use. Imagine trying hammer nails with your fist. Interesting to note they've taken it further with 2013/2016 with the menu system also being tabuler.

It was a hint of what was yet to come (windows 8), wastage of space because bigger buttons are better for touch (on a device witout a touchscreen).
                      Call it what you will mate, it's all still tabs to me =) I dont blame them for trying to be tablet compatible, after all, Apple do it, but forcing us to use it that way WITHOUT alternate* options is akin to a gorilla eating his own poop for sustenance.

*what a crude way to call traditional. Almost like calling English, English UK....
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X