LibreOffice 5.3 Beta Available For Beta Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    They started with openoffice, which was 8 million lines of code and approximately 75% of it in C++.
    They actually started with StarOffice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache...erivatives.svg

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      They actually started with StarOffice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache...erivatives.svg
      The chart you linked to clearly says libreoffice started with openoffice by merging the ooo-build patchset.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
        I have a netbook with 1024x600. I found the ribbon interface incredibly frustrating to use on it. Even on my secondary 1080p desktop, the ribbon interface seems like a terrible design decision. I have all this unused horizontal real estate, and MS decides to waste the precious vertical space with huge buttons. For 2 out of 3 of my machines, it's horrible.
        Yeah, I just wanted to say that it's not 100% bad. It would be cool to copy its upsides (showing relevant buttons for what you are doing so it can show more stuff relevant to what you need) while avoiding its downsides (probably by keeping it lateral, I heard 16:9 screens have a ton of lateral space that sits mostly unused since most programs need vertical space, thanks Obama).

But I don't really think LO devs are this clever.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          While I agree that the Ribbon has better usability due to modern UI design principles like "showing buttons only when you are actually likely to need them", I'm against the fact that it is wasting a LARGE amount of vertical space to show a bunch of LARGE icons.
          I would love a lateral ribbon. So you can save that precious vertical space AND have options easily available.

(oh! And thx to movie watchers/fake users for having the 4/3 killed while it was perfect ratio)

Comment

I've used tons of spreadsheet programs. From IBM, Microsoft, Google, StarOffice (in the 1990s), Lotus 1-2-3, Gnumeric and so on. The fact is, they all worked relatively fast. Only the Libreoffice branch of old StarOffice is slow. I've used OpenOffice since the 1.x series. It used to be faster, now the LO Calc isn't. I know you can file bug reports, but from my point of view they're the ones who broke it, it's the only spreadsheet program that is so slow. I could understand the need to contribute yourself if it was broken right from the start, but the incompetence of current generation of developers, it's not your fault. So for me it's easier to switch to other programs like Gnumeric while waiting for them to fix their mistakes.
            You are not alone. From what I read here very few people are working with large files but you are right MS Office is multiple times faster.

I have the same problem on Writer : using a 100+ pages file with 40 images per page makes the system hang for 5s at each modification.

Anyway I still use LibreOffice but sometimes I would really appreciate the performance to be improved...

Comment

I've used tons of spreadsheet programs.
              I don't give a fuck.

It used to be faster, now the LO Calc isn't.
              You must have started using it only recently to do real work because calc always ran like crap when doing real work with it. I always have to install MS Office for people that need spreadsheets or they come and whine whine whine to me.

I know you can file bug reports,
              I said GO FIX IT, filing bug reports is your duty already.
              but from my point of view they're the ones who broke it,
              And from my point of view they have no kind of obligation towards anyone because they are volunteers and are not getting paid from you in any way.
              So, you can keep showing you are an idiot on forums or you can actually go and do something about it.

it's the only spreadsheet program that is so slow.
              Considering that the only serious contenders are LO and MS Office...

I could understand the need to contribute yourself if it was broken right from the start, but the incompetence of current generation of developers, it's not your fault. So for me it's easier to switch to other programs like Gnumeric while waiting for them to fix their mistakes.
              It's not a matter of fault, it's a matter of how opensource works. Opensource lives by people that figures that the shit they need could be improved and go and improve it for all, while still using a ton of other stuff that was developed by others.

If none is giving a shit about improving a feature because they can just switch to something else, that feature won't be improved by the Holy Spirit.

Of course Rust is relevant. It *is* a better implementation language. They'd probably have a much better quality spreadsheet program if they had started with OCaml or SML. Both are already old. The current LO is a clusterfuck of languages, a fractal of bad design. It's not written in a single language.
              Of course you are an idiot, Rust (or any other language) is irrelevant in an issue caused by the fact that none gives a shit about that part.

Also LO is mostly in C++.

Comment

While I agree that the Ribbon has better usability due to modern UI design principles like "showing buttons only when you are actually likely to need them", I'm against the fact that it is wasting a LARGE amount of vertical space to show a bunch of LARGE icons.
                I would love a left panel option ribbon. Saved place AND simple access.

Of topic (sry) I would love screens to get back to 4/3... 16/9 is nice for watching movies but for Internet and apps... what a mess.
                M$ Surface has a very good ratio, but AFAIK I cannot install a Linux distro...

Comment

I don't give a fuck.

I do not understand your point : IMO there is no reason to say "take it or go M$". Issues must be filled to help LO to improve.

How many users is LO loosing for performance issues?.. Maybe not that much average users but for companies this can be a "no go".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven
                    (3rd attempt to answer...)

A left panel Ribbon would be perfect. No space lost AND fast options.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                      LibreOffice Calc is slow!

I use LibreOffice Calc (5.2 and 5.3beta) with around 10 Worksheets and 2000-3000 rows Data per Worksheet. The Data consits of Date and a Floatingpoint Value. All I do is doing some relative percentage returns on these values as well as calculating distributions. Drawing a Chart and a Historgram.

So at the end the Sheet consists of the following stuff:

1 of 10 Sheets contains, 2000-3000 Data rows
                      1 manual calculated column of relative percentage of these values
                      1 manual calculated column of distributions returned
                      1 Chart of the Data (Date and Floatingpoint)
                      1 Historgram of the distribution returned

The entire ODS file contains 10 Sheets 20.000 - 30.000 Data rows, 20-30 Drawings (Charts and Historgrams)

When scrolling through these pages the entire system starts to freeze up. Using the mouse wheel for scrolling up and down makes you watch how line per line is going up or down according the mouse movement. You can go and have a coffee break during the movement phase if you put it that way.

I even tried to increase the memory for graphical objects but had no success. Only disabling antialiasing helped for a while. Also tried changing the VCS backend didn't do much here.

Though! Still! I also have another Windows10 partition on the same machine with Excel installed. Excel rushes through the pages like a charm without even getting any lockups or freezes because of the graphics to be rendered.

Even google-chrome with 20 Tabs open and all kind of graphics and pictures works much smoother here.

After googling for this issue, I found out that this problem is being reported by plenty of other people. Even with less Data rows and smaller graphics.

What I would really like to see is performance bottlenecks being worked on for the upcoming versions of LibreOffice.
                      May or may not be relevant.

At least in Fedora 23/34 there was a known issue with the distribution packaged RPMs that were slower than molasses on nVidia hardware. We experienced this problem on ~20 machines +.
                      Using the LibreOffice.org RPMs solved the issue.

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X