Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 5.3 Beta Available For Beta Testing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Passso View Post
    How many users is LO loosing for performance issues?
    Actually a quick google reported 33.600 finds! Most of the issues have a timestamp starting from around 2013 until nowadays.

    https://www.google.de/#q=libreoffice+calc+slow

    When i dug in some libreoffice bugzilla bugs I also found a comment made by someone from the LibreOffice release team (or QA team), who claimed that measuring performance issues had never been on their QA sheet (or something like that) and that it would make sense to add this matter for future releases of LibreOffice.

    I also need to respond to the guy above, who claims that OpenSource works differently. My response to him is this: Isn't one of the reasons behind OpenSource (these days) to increase acceptance by having more people and even companies to adopt OpenSource and Linux ? (I use OpenSource and FreeSoftware synonymous here - knowing that the meaning differs).

    Now imagine a mid size and large company who adopts LibreOffice but can't process their Workbooks because of the performance issue during "scrolling". What is there that causes the huge performance loss ? The rows and columns are calculated. The graphics and charts are set and paint. You only move a big canvas. I can't help the developers if they recalculate everything during a random "scroll" process. Scrolling is elementary in an Excel sheet.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      Using the LibreOffice.org RPMs solved the issue.
      The 5.3 beta Packages *are* the packages provided by LibreOffice.org. I usually go for the LibreOffice.org packages frist. And I doubt this to be a driver issue otherwise everything else running on this system ends up crawling. Btw: Radon on this Notebook using the driver stuff that Fedora installs by default.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Passso View Post
        I do not understand your point : IMO there is no reason to say "take it or go M$". Issues must be filled to help LO to improve.

        How many users is LO loosing for performance issues?.. Maybe not that much average users but for companies this can be a "no go".
        My points are:
        -libreoffice writer is slow but relatively usable for work, calc sucks ass for real work, and both are well-known facts.
        -opensource grows due to people contributing, not due to people whining in forums and boldly stating "it suxx and it's your fault! now go fix that for me for free, my slave"
        -if people just switch over to MS Office and don't contribute, the situation is unlikely to improve

        Therefore I was encouraging troll whiners like caligula to stfu and see what they can do to fix the issues, bug reports, crowd foundings, whatever.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Candy View Post
          I also need to respond to the guy above, who claims that OpenSource works differently. My response to him is this: Isn't one of the reasons behind OpenSource (these days) to increase acceptance by having more people and even companies to adopt OpenSource and Linux ? (I use OpenSource and FreeSoftware synonymous here - knowing that the meaning differs).
          No, open source has always been about sharing development load, not about ideals.
          You probably got caught in the Canonical's propaganda, but if you look at most projects you can see that what I say is valid.

          I can't help the developers if they recalculate everything during a random "scroll" process. Scrolling is elementary in an Excel sheet.
          As I said, your complaint is valid, but as you also saw it's not anywhere near new. I repeat, please see what you can do to fix calc, as it's unlikely to get fixed if no developer works on that.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by Passso View Post

            I would love a lateral ribbon. So you can save that precious vertical space AND have options easily available.

            (oh! And thx to movie watchers/fake users for having the 4/3 killed while it was perfect ratio)
            Rotate your monitor!
            Hi

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I repeat, please see what you can do to fix calc, as it's unlikely to get fixed if no developer works on that.
              I really wish I could help. Unfortunately my current job can be described as "statistic analyst". My primary job is to wade through a shitload of data to get my monthly bills paid. I have to value my time and money. Therefore I literarely have no other option than running Windows10 and Excel to get my bills paid. 8 million lines of code (mostly written in C++) is something that only people can deal with who are primarely assigned to work on this project full time. I also recommend changing:

              Do more - easier, quicker, smarter
              LibreOffice is a powerful office suite – its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity
              Easier: Yes!
              Quicker: No!
              Smarter: No!
              Productivity: = Excel! I have no time for coffee breaks between scrolling.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

                Rotate your monitor!
                I
                t

                W
                o
                r
                k
                s
                !!

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  I really wish I could help. Unfortunately my current job can be described as "statistic analyst". My primary job is to wade through a shitload of data to get my monthly bills paid. I have to value my time and money. Therefore I literarely have no other option than running Windows10 and Excel to get my bills paid. 8 million lines of code (mostly written in C++) is something that only people can deal with who are primarely assigned to work on this project full time.
                  As I said, non-programmers can do crowdfundings to pay freelance programmers to do stuff for them (same way as you hire a plumber to do plumbing around the house and don't try to hide behind bullshit arguments like "I'm not a plumber").

                  Krita software devs do that and it's working great for them, KDE devs do it too (it's working less well as with Krita but it is still decent).

                  Really, I'm not touched by your whines (you are repeating the same dumb arguments I've seen hundreds of times, I'm basically giving you canned answers) and I'm not defending LO in any way, I'm just pointing out that in opensource this is the most effective way to get what you want, and this "you can add/fix things you need" is one of main strengths it has over closed source.

                  But of course if people keep treating open source applications as freeware (closed-source stuff given away for free) and just demand things and whine, they are not going to get anything.
                  Because if with paid/freeware software you usually get ignored because you aren't worth enough (unless you are a big company), with open software you are basically demanding unpaid work from volunteers so go figure how effective whining and demanding is.

                  But let's think about what would happen if you did it right. Really, what would happen if all whiners about calc would donate what, 5$ to a crowdfunding to hire a developer to work on that? That you would have enough money to get a dev to work on it to fix that.

                  Now think about other problems you might have with MS Office (I have my own list). Can you solve that by hiring a developer? Nope.

                  This is opensource. Please use it right.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    As I said, non-programmers can do crowdfundings to pay freelance programmers to do stuff for them (same way as you hire a plumber to do plumbing around the house and don't try to hide behind bullshit arguments like "I'm not a plumber").
                    I am already funding Microsoft for giving me a superior product. Thanks for your feedback!

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by Candy View Post
                      I am already funding Microsoft for giving me a superior product. Thanks for your feedback!
                      Glad of having been of assistance.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X