Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 2.2 Being Prepared For Release With Many Changes

Phoronix: Darktable 2.2 Being Prepared For Release With Many Changes

This week marks the Darktable 2.2.0-RC1 release as the developers of this open-source photography workflow software prepare for its official release, just in time if you are planning to get some new camera gear this holiday season...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see some darktable-benchmarks, how openCL is working on the GPU. It's easy to do them automagically (-d perf). Especially the differences between RX460/470 und 1050/1050TI/1060....

Comment

Originally posted by taxi_bs View Post
      I would love to see some darktable-benchmarks, how openCL is working on the GPU. It's easy to do them automagically (-d perf). Especially the differences between RX460/470 und 1050/1050TI/1060....
      Have any information/documentation on benchmarking it? Are there CLI switches for controlling OpenCL or just GPU based? Not too familiar with DT but if the benchmark is good and indeed automated-friendly, happy to run some tests.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Have any information/documentation on benchmarking it? Are there CLI switches for controlling OpenCL or just GPU based? Not too familiar with DT but if the benchmark is good and indeed automated-friendly, happy to run some tests.
        darktable-cli DSC_6086.NEF DSC_6086.NEF.xmp DSC_6086.tif --core -d opencl -d perf

but it might fall back to CPU if there is the GPU is too slow (e.g., Ivy Bridge with beignet). You can specify which filters should be applied in the XML file (can easily created with the darktable gui and then used with the command line)

Comment

Quite simple:
          First start darktable, take any RAW-Photo and make some adjustments. Take also the "equalizer"-Module, because it makes heavy use of the GPU (maybe also the color transformations). No need to save or export, alle the steps are now already saved in an xmp-File.

The xmp-file has the same name as the RAW, so just start the cli:
          darktable-cli photo.raw output.jpg --core -d perf

Not sure about the switch to abandon GPU, i have only a Radeon 5770 here, too old to be supported....

Comment

As a sidenote, I think Darktable is one hell of a great open source software. It started from zero and got to a point where I wouldn't use anything else, including proprietary software.

Comment

Originally posted by twoertwein View Post
              but it might fall back to CPU if there is the GPU is too slow (e.g., Ivy Bridge with beignet)
              Beignet works with Broadwell, but the CPU is still faster.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Is darktable able to use the amd open source driver? Or is the image support still missing?

Do i need to install the amdgpu pro driver?

Comment

Working...
                X