Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 51 To Enable WebGL 2 By Default, FLAC Audio, Skia Content Rendering On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    It should be renamed to GoogleGL. Pretty much nothing but Google uses it.
    Safari has WebGL 2 in their impending 10.1 which nearly matches Firefox 50 in overall HTML5test.com specs. It won't just be for Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Safari has WebGL 2 in their impending 10.1 which nearly matches Firefox 50 in overall HTML5test.com specs. It won't just be for Google.
      I think he meant that Google has the only web pages that use it, which AFAIK is not true. They may be the most visible user, but certainly not the only one. Wait, I have no idea how Google uses WebGL, but I know that some other sites (e.g. Github and Shapeways) use it to show STL files (file format used a lot in 3D printing) in browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        Wait, I have no idea how Google uses WebGL,
        I think Google Maps (the 3D view) or something.

Comment

Skia rendering means the HW acceleration will be on by default??

Comment

Yes Google Maps 3D and some experiments: https://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl

Others:

Open-source virtual planet web application running in any web browser with support for WebGL HTML5 standard.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Welcome to Google Firefox...
              Google have paid hundreds of millions of dollars to fund the Mozilla foundation, they've own Mozilla's ass for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by dxxvi View Post
                Does that mean Firefox 51 will play slither.io (a 2D javascript/canvas, maybe, game) better than Firefox 50 does?
                what an addicting game!

Comment

In my limited experience, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge performs better than Firefox when it comes to WebGL.

Problems I find with Firefox.
                  • All too common on startup with "Well this is embarrassing, Firefox is having trouble recovering your tabs".
                  • No support for input type=date, time and datetime.
                  • Developer tools lack support for inspecting messages over WebSockets and Server-Sent Events.
                  • Video playback problems on YouTube. Videos not starting, having to reload the page several times.
                  • No support for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Problems I find with Firefox.
                    1. All too common on startup with "Well this is embarrassing, Firefox is having trouble recovering your tabs".
                    2. No support for input type=date, time and datetime.
                    3. Developer tools lack support for inspecting messages over WebSockets and Server-Sent Events.
                    4. Video playback problems on YouTube. Videos not starting, having to reload the page several times.
                    5. No support for Wayland.
                    1. I'll second that.
                    4. YouTube works great for me (I'm not using Flash of course).
                    5. I'm writing this in Firefox in Wayland. Tip: Enable XWayland. The only problem is that Weston will crash if you try to reorder the tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                      5. I'm writing this in Firefox in Wayland. Tip: Enable XWayland. The only problem is that Weston will crash if you try to reorder the tabs.
                      We need native wayland support. Along a shitload of other stuff in linux.

A guy from red hat (??) has written patches for it but none of them has been merged upstream.

Comment

Working...
                      X