Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Debian-based Linux distribution had been using xcompmgr as its compositing window manager on the desktop, but now they will likely be switching to the Compton fork for better performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...mpton-xcompmgr

They should switch to a Wayland enabled thing.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      This isn't an area I'm an expert in (and I say that a lot on this site) but I believe they looked at it and decided that (at the time) there were no lightweight options looking at Wayland yet. I think OpenGL ES is the most important part of getting more power out of the Pi meanwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        I had my hopes up for Maynard distro... it started Jan 2013 (almost 4 years ago) and was announced April 2014 (over 2 years ago) still no release.

By chance I ran latest raspbian yesterday when I tested my LG 29UM68-P on a raspberry pi 2 at work. It needed some changes to /boot/config.txt but no overclocking was needed and my 21:9 2560x1080 screen worked quite well (if you ignore all the lag on the desktop). I wonder if Compton will make the Pi usable as a desktop with firefox and terminal.

Comment

Working...
        X