Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 50 Readied For Release

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 50 Readied For Release

Mozilla has uploaded the final Firefox 50.0 binaries to their servers for all supported operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it also includes ISRG X1 root certificate now. Although on most GNU/Linux distros certificates are packaged separately into ca-certificates package (which also now has ISRG root)

Comment

Been using it for a while as beta. As almost always, it has zero changes related to the end-user. In reality, we are still at Firefox 6.x.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Been using it for a while as beta. As almost always, it has zero changes related to the end-user. In reality, we are still at Firefox 6.x.
        By itself I don't see this as a bad thing. I'm not fond of the Microsoft tradition where every release must have a new and totally different UI.

Comment

Who even uses Firefox Reader mode?

Actually... Who even uses Firefox anymore
          This report lists the market share of the top browsers in use, like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

They used to be king but fell off their horse.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

By itself I don't see this as a bad thing. I'm not fond of the Microsoft tradition where every release must have a new and totally different UI.
            The problem is that with so many stuff missing from linux on firefox this IS a bad thing. HW acceleration (layers or whatever is called), video hw accel, wayland, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Who even uses Firefox Reader mode?

Actually... Who even uses Firefox anymore
              This report lists the market share of the top browsers in use, like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

They used to be king but fell off their horse.
              I'm using it because it's leaner on resources when you don't open tons of tabs at the same time. I understand Chrome is supposed to become leaner soon, but so far Firefox has served be better.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Yeah, Firefox sucks nowadays. The only thing that keeps me from ditching it is that it respects user privacy, unlike Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

Yeah, Firefox sucks nowadays. The only thing that keeps me from ditching it is that it respects user privacy, unlike Chrome.
                  I do not think Firefox sucks. It makes a correct job, is stable and as already told it does not change too much concerning the interface.
                  At least for my use I do not see any real improvement in Chrome or Opera over Firefox... (I do not use Edge so cannot compare because... well you know )

Comment

I like Firefox because it feels native to the platform (unlike Chrome) and it has a good UI (better than Chrome and Edge).

However both Chrome and Edge have superior WebGL performance. Edge have superior battery consumption.
                    Developer tools in Chrome have more functionality such as support for observing message over WebSockets and Server-Sent Events.

Both Chrome and Edge support input type time and date.
                    Firefox lacks support got Wayland and GTK3.

Firefox have much better adblocker though, because it blocks the elements before they render instead of rendering them then removing them from the DOM after.

Comment

Working...
                    X