A Number Of KDE Apps Will Be Dropped If They Don't Get Ported To KF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    They are all volunteers, GNOME does not pay them (nor really need them). Be afraid, be very afraid.
    TBH they are either anti-GNOME trolls or are people with far too much time on their hands. Too bad they can’t invest their energies into something worthwhile and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
      Plus, no new releases doesn't mean it disappears from Linux distributions.
      That is the fundamental issue. If it isn't being maintained, why are new versions being shipped? Distros can just stick to the last version that was updated. Shipping unmaintained packages is just a waste of bandwidth and packager time (both upstream and distro). So I think this move makes sense. And if someone really wants to continue providing KDE4 updates for an application, they can release it independently of the normal KDE Applications releases.

Comment

Another great bullshit post from Griffin, as usual.
        Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Is it just me or are there paid pro-Gnomers commenting here?
        "Griffin" even demands giving your money to Red Hat:
        -- https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...627#post890627

Comment

They are all volunteers, GNOME does not pay them (nor really need them). Be afraid, be very afraid.
          I knoe that, it hust seems, based in the style of comment, that there people who are paid professionals to make comments about Product X in fora. It almost smells like a TV sales channel. Anyway, must be just me.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I agree. Only apps that are required for a DE should be linked to a DE.
            I doubt many of the apps link to the DE, if any at all.

Even those with features of DE integration will do those through communication channels, e.g. D-Bus

Cheers,
            _

Comment

[QUOTE=starshipeleven;n910586
              Personally, the whole idea of linking applications to a DE was retarded anyway as to run applications you would have to pull down like 150 MB of stuff of shared libraries for lulz. As long as it is their own DE's stuff it's ok, but for my applications... How about Qt?
              [/QUOTE]
              Most KDE applications are Qt applications, I can only think of the Android side of KDE Connect which is not (it is a normal Android application).

Most, if not all, KDE applications do not link to a DE. Even those with features for DE integration do this by communicating with the DE's processes, e.g. most often via D-Bus.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                well, now KF5 is just a bunch of libraries that happen to implement what kde application has duplicated in the past. It's even not related to plasma anymore (if you don't depend on it explicitly).

KDE's libraries were not related to the previous main desktop component, KDesktop, either.

The main two differences between kdelibs and KDE Frameworks 5 are that the frameworks are developed in their own respository each while kdelibs were one repository with sub directories, and that the framework libraries have their dependencies specified more precisely.

Both changes should have it made easier to see that the libraries can and in fact should be packaged separately to remove and avoid the misconception of applications being linked or tied to "a desktop"

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  KDE is not only a DE it's a framework
                  In programming this would be a very common misunderstanding, the difference between inheritance and composition.
                  I.e. the difference between an "is-a" relationship and a "has-a" relationship.

Here his can almost be directly applied, by replacing the "is" with the correct "has":
                  Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  KDE has not only a DE it has a framework
                  Of course not fully gramatically correct, so better would be to say
                  "KDE does not only have a DE it also has a framework" or even more precisely "KDE does not only have a DE, it also has a set of frameworks".

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Most KDE applications are Qt applications, I can only think of the Android side of KDE Connect which is not (it is a normal Android application).

Most, if not all, KDE applications do not link to a DE. Even those with features for DE integration do this by communicating with the DE's processes, e.g. most often via D-Bus.

Cheers,
                    _
                    I always thought KDE applications using KDE frameworks were using Qt through KDE frameworks, and that was the whole point of these frameworks.

And KDE framworks were at least historically pretty much the same libs you needed to run KDE too.

As I said I know they did modularize things recently, but if they keep the same lifecycle of a DE, the applications are better off using Qt directly. For example, here in OpenSUSE Leap 41 I've got qt3 libs too in the repos (qt3 was released in 2001), but there is no kdelibs3 anymore and KDE talks of dropping kdelibs4 soon (released in 2008).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      I have a beautiful solution to this "let's break APIs because we love doing that and we hate porting applications because we love Plasma and people should enjoy running Plasma and nothing else".

Drop KDE5 altogether. Stop wasting your time because KDE5 is slowly dying anyways.

First you dropped multiple KDE3 applications because you were busy fixing a gazillion of regressions and bugs in KDE4.
                      Then you dropped multiple KDE3/4 applications because you were busy fixing a gazillion of regressions and bugs in KDE5.

Oh, I've got an even better solution: create KDE6 and drop everything but Plasma. Plasma itself should be enough for everyone.
                      Where is the "unlike" button

Comment

Working...
                      X