• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Also recently:

On GamingOnLinux statistics: KDE is the #1 used Desktop Environment
    Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

Well....let's get real. KDE is not only a DE it's a framework. Knowing that you can obviously see that it pales in numbers to GTK+ based GNOME, UNITY, CINNAMON, XFCE, LXDE, BUDGIE and MATE. Basically.....it's KDE and EVERYBODY ELSE.

Face it. GTK+ for better or worse has the juice. KDE is a distant also ran. And it shows if they are contemplating culling the herd like they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Well....let's get real. KDE is not only a DE it's a framework. Knowing that you can obviously see that it pales in numbers to GTK+ based GNOME, UNITY, CINNAMON, XFCE, LXDE, BUDGIE and MATE. Basically.....it's KDE and EVERYBODY ELSE.

Face it. GTK+ for better or worse has the juice. KDE is a distant also ran. And it shows if they are contemplating culling the herd like they are.
      You forgot to say developers are moving away from gtk. So it's more like: KDE, Unity 8, lxqt.

Comment

2016-17 .. Themes still crash applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post

Nobody needs them anymore now that everyone is streaming. Whenever I play some of my old mp3:s I just use mplayer in a konsole window. Why bother with these overly complicated gui applications for something as simple as playing a sound file?
          I need them. I don't stream music and I refuse to pay a stupid monthly fee to listen to music I don't own and can't listen to offline. I have thousands of tracks in my library. mplayer and konsole aren't going to cut it.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Simple - because any half-decent developer can write an app, but very few can commit to the amount of work needed to a) compete with all the others, and b) do it over the long term.
          Right but the 3 or 4 I was referring to were the big popular ones that had the resources to commit to supporting a program. Banshee seems to be dead, Amarok is apparently dead, Clementine is barely alive, and Rhythmbox is barely alive as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post

Nobody needs them anymore now that everyone is streaming. Whenever I play some of my old mp3:s I just use mplayer in a konsole window. Why bother with these overly complicated gui applications for something as simple as playing a sound file?
            I need them. I don't stream music and I refuse to pay a stupid monthly fee for music that I can't own/download and listen to offline and on any device I want. I have thousands of tracks in my library. Mplayer and konsole aren't going to cut it.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Simple - because any half-decent developer can write an app, but very few can commit to the amount of work needed to a) compete with all the others, and b) do it over the long term.
            Right, but the 3 or 4 I was referring to were the big popular ones that had the resources to support an application. Banshee is dead, Amarok is apparently dead, Rhythmbox is barely alive, and Clementine is also barely alive.

Comment

Where are my posts disappearing to!?

Comment

Well....let's get real. KDE is not only a DE it's a framework.
                Actually, it's neither.

Comment

You are comparing a widgets toolkit (GTK) to a desktop environment and set of applications (KDE). You should either compare Gnome to KDE or GTK to Qt. For the Gnome vs. KDE, there are three gnome-based -- Gnome, Cinnamon, and Mate -- with Cinnamon and Mate being forks of Gnome. From that standpoint, KDE is ahead, since we have KDE, LXDE, and Trinity using KDE, with Trinity being a fork but LXDE being an entirely separate DE that was ported to make use of Qt and KDE. So there is one fully independent DE using gnome, but 2 fully independent DEs using KDE.

For Qt vs. GTK, Arch has a pretty long list of desktop environments. There are 7 maintained GTK-based ones (unity is being ported to Qt, LXDE has switched, and there are several duplicates), 2 of which are forks of Gnome, and 7 maintained Qt-based ones, one of which is a fork of KDE. Deepin is the tie-breaker: it uses both, but seems to be primarily Qt-based.

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
                    Right, but the 3 or 4 I was referring to were the big popular ones that had the resources to support an application. Banshee is dead, Amarok is apparently dead, Rhythmbox is barely alive, and Clementine is also barely alive.
                    Again, Amarok is not "dead", it's still "barely alive".

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      What about KTP?
                      I'm no longer testing it regularly. So please bear in mind that they probably managed to fix some of the problems (which I truely hope - I _want_ to use ktp).

The main problem seems to be the badly maintained (KTP developers said this when referencing gabble) telepathy and parts of its architecture. The most obvious (and already sufficient) reason to not use it is how encryption is handled. It seems KTP developers try to get around the limitations with every new release (I have a look at)! But it's still not there yet.

Until recently, when somebody sent me an OTR-encrypted XMPP message, KTP only informed me about an encrypted message in the popup (in one of the last releases it showed me the "?OTRv123?" plain text). And when I open the dialog, all messages sent up to this point are also just a "encrypted message". I'd have to always ask people to resend their messages. The lastest test minutes ago revealed that they won't start an OTR session without me having opened the dialog (probably to prevent exactly that problem). But now setting up a conversation fails when I am not fast enough in opening my chat windows. The other side simply gets an error message, the chat messages are not delivered and the OTR session is not set up. When I finally open the dialog, a "half-OTR-session" is open. So the other side thinks OTR isn't working and sends unencrypted messages (the previously encrypted ones are still lost, though).

And even when a conversation is running due to me having the chat dialog open and initiating a chat from my side, messages cannot be logged. (I use the log quite often to search for technical details or logins we talked about.) All messages that were received while an OTR session was active, are just shown as "Encrypted message" in KTP. Due to the non-development of gabble (as I was said!), OMEMO - which could probably make this whole situation less problematic - won't be implemented either.

So, long story short: technically far away to replace kopete (or pidgin, or gajim, or whatever) in a normal day-to-day scenario. And since I haven't bothered to test it further with other people - they will be annoyed even more by Jabber & Co - I cannot discuss about further problems yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X