A Number Of KDE Apps Will Be Dropped If They Don't Get Ported To KF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
    Nobody needs them anymore now that everyone is streaming. Whenever I play some of my old mp3:s I just use mplayer in a konsole window. Why bother with these overly complicated gui applications for something as simple as playing a sound file?
    Amarok is still useful as a media manager. Its ability to filter by complex tag combinations is superb. And the ability to queue tracks, too.

Comment

I have had kdelibs4 removed from my main PC for about three quarters of the year now. Everything I use is now ported (and I use quite a few of KDE apps). Some, like Amarok, Okular, KRDC, RKWard and KGet I have to use built from git (through the excellent KDE:Unstable repository on openSUSE), but that's fine.

As for anecdotes about stuff breaking on Windows, all Unreal Engine 2 (D3D8) games crash on Windows 10 when set to fullscreen. (There is a workaround, but the point stands.)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Wow, meanwhile 99% of people prefer to be able to run their old applications in new Windows releases. Perhaps they are all mad, right? And also software developers have better things to do in life than to constantly target new shiny API releases. You must be out of your mind if you think that ISV enjoy keeping their applications up to date just because your OS vendor wants to shit on you just like open source developers do.
        Nice made up statistics you got there. 99%. kek. Also the fact that lazy ISVs don't "enjoy" updating their apps doesn't make anything that I've said any less true. The only reason they don't "enjoy" updating the code is because they can just charge every year for a new update. But wait! People then chose to not update for stupid reasons ("hurrdurr you moved the buttons arround, LITERALLY unusable") and expect the version they bought 15 years ago to still work today.

Oh, and in Windows we have perfectly functioning high level APIs other than Win32: .Net for instance. Most .Net 2.0 apps written circa 2000 run just fine in 2016 in Windows 2016. This must be wrong I guess, but all those perfectly working applications must be updated for .Net 4.6, right? Oh, boy.
        I mean, I'm pretty sure .Net is on Linux these days too. I'm also 150% sure those .Net 2.0 apps written in the dark ages don't actually run on top of the EXACT SAME version of the .Net runtime - the API/ABI may be the same but the code for those frameworks didn't stay frozen in time.

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post
          I mean, I'm pretty sure .Net is on Linux these days too. I'm also 150% sure those .Net 2.0 apps written in the dark ages don't actually run on top of the EXACT SAME version of the .Net runtime - the API/ABI may be the same but the code for those frameworks didn't stay frozen in time.
          This isn't a MS/.net exclusive, btw.
          Java does that too on occasion, for example (I'm sure there are other cases, but I know Java most).
          Applications that run expecting framework bugs that were fixed may blow up, and those are the moments when you need to make VMs to run a (specific outdated/vulnerable version of) java VM with a modicum of safety to keep using that application.

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
            This isn't particularly about Amarok but what the hell happened to all the Linux music players? None of them seem to be maintained anymore. Back when I started using Linux in '06 there were hundreds of music players because everyone and their grandmother wanted to develop a music player (along with a text editor and a file manager). WTF happened? Now there's like 3 or 4 and they're either barely maintained or not maintained at all.
            Simple - because any half-decent developer can write an app, but very few can commit to the amount of work needed to a) compete with all the others, and b) do it over the long term.

Comment

Drop KDE5 altogether. Stop wasting your time because KDE5 is slowly dying anyways.
              Seriously, what planet are you on? The planet of extreme bias?

The KDE community has created some of the best of the breed open source software and they continue to win user’s hearts, according to a new LinuxQuestions survey.

Comment

Since Amarok is broken in recent Ubuntu releases, I started using qmmp and Clementine as QT music players (VLC and Smplayer are awful for music). Funny thing that as a fork, Clementine is working well today and even runs on Windows while Amarok is not. Too bad because I prefer the later.

Comment

There is also, as mentioned somewhere earlier, a new music player is coming to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

Seriously, what planet are you on? The planet of extreme bias?

The KDE community has created some of the best of the breed open source software and they continue to win user’s hearts, according to a new LinuxQuestions survey.

Also recently:

On GamingOnLinux statistics: KDE is the #1 used Desktop Environment
                    Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

Comment

Amarok not being maintained is like a death blow to my Linux nostalgia.

Comment

Working...
                      X