Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

Isn't kdialog already KF5?
    It's been replaced with QDialog, kdialog is part of kdelibs4.

kopete on the list is the only program which I'm using. That bundled crap on mint 18 does not stay online and forgets my client settings all the time(was it transmitter or something like that).

Comment

The solution is to not make applications other than those needed for plasma/KDE envuronment, dependent on plasma/kde. All other apps if not dependent on a DE could just be snapped/flat packed and would be no longer an issue if they fall behind.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        The solution is to not make applications other than those needed for plasma/KDE envuronment, dependent on plasma/kde. All other apps if not dependent on a DE could just be snapped/flat packed and would be no longer an issue if they fall behind.
        Network facing apps like KGet/Kopete? opening my system to years old security vulnerabilities by using old flatpack images? (Not to mention bundled libs clutter/mess). No thanks.
        Unmaintained software is like an unmaintained bridge : eventually it'll just disappear, sometimes it will be destroyed as a precaution.

Comment

As long as Juk and SoundKonverter get ported, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, the author of SoundKonverter said a few months ago that he won't port to kf5

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Drop KDE5 altogether. Stop wasting your time because KDE5 is slowly dying anyways.
            KDE5 will be dropped when its time has come.

First you dropped multiple KDE3 applications because you were busy fixing a gazillion of regressions and bugs in KDE4.
            Then you dropped multiple KDE3/4 applications because you were busy fixing a gazillion of regressions and bugs in KDE5.
            No, applications were dropped because THEIR AUTHOR refused to keep them updated. KDE libraries lifecycle is known, if you make an application with them you know it will only last a few years before you need to port it to the newer version.

Oh, I've got an even better solution: create KDE6 and drop everything but Plasma. Plasma itself should be enough for everyone.
            This appears to be the general way forward. KDE3 had a buttload of kdelibs applications, now KDE will only the bare minimum.

Personally, the whole idea of linking applications to a DE was retarded anyway as to run applications you would have to pull down like 150 MB of stuff of shared libraries for lulz. As long as it is their own DE's stuff it's ok, but for my applications... How about Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

Amarok was never part of KDE Applications. It is an extragear application and port to KF5 is not completed. Unfortunately Amarok doesn't seem to be maintained.
              This isn't particularly about Amarok but what the hell happened to all the Linux music players? None of them seem to be maintained anymore. Back when I started using Linux in '06 there were hundreds of music players because everyone and their grandmother wanted to develop a music player (along with a text editor and a file manager). WTF happened? Now there's like 3 or 4 and they're either barely maintained or not maintained at all.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Personally, the whole idea of linking applications to a DE was retarded anyway as to run applications you would have to pull down like 150 MB of stuff of shared libraries for lulz. As long as it is their own DE's stuff it's ok, but for my applications... How about Qt?
                I agree. Only apps that are required for a DE should be linked to a DE. I think unnecessary DE linking is a linux specific disease, that needs to be stamped out. Hopefully with snaps/flatpaks in the future, people are release what headaches linking to a DE is, and stop doing it.

Comment

Uh, uh. The problem in the case of kopete (and I guess kget?) is there's no usable KDE alternative. Granted, Kopete is outdated and has its problems (a lot ;-) ). But dropping it would mean that KDE is no longer offering a working IM client where I can use encryption and logging. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    well, now KF5 is just a bunch of libraries that happen to implement what kde application has duplicated in the past. It's even not related to plasma anymore (if you don't depend on it explicitly).

I think that kind of decoupling is far better than "the window manager is the DE" thing that tends to be popular these days.

Comment

The amount of retardedness in this forum is staggering.

People actually believe KDE libraries should ... what a shocker ... NOT be used to create third party applications which were the exact reason for KDE to become popular. What's KDE good for then? For boasting various effects and nothing else? No wonder people shun open source projects and Linux. It's crazy idiocy.

And then the biggest gem: "AUTHORS refused to port them"? Are you imbecile? People created perfectly working applications like they do with Windows/Win32. Alas the latter work for tens of years (most 32bit applications created for Windows 95 run just fine in 2016 in Windows 10, 21 years after they were created) while for some retarded reasons AUTHORS should bother rewriting their applications for wonderful KDE every time its developers decide to break backward compatibility.

What a bunch of utter idiots this forum stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                      X