Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 5.3 Enables New Layout Engine By Default

Phoronix: LibreOffice 5.3 Enables New Layout Engine By Default

LibreOffice in Git master (what will become LO 5.3 next year) has enabled its new layout engine by default for providing better rendering on all platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm, looks like a perfect spot where Complex Text Layout (CTL) support (e.g., Hebrew, Arabic, Persian) becomes messed up, again.

I just opened an issue in the Persian Ubuntu Forums and asked people to test the development version. Otherwise we may end up with a LibreOffice with broken CTL support for a long time.

Here is the new topic:

Comment

Originally posted by bdcomp View Post
      This was reverted almost immediately:
      https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreof...20b558342af825
      That's a minor set-back because of some test failure.. It is still the plan to use common text layout in LO 5.3 by default.

Anyway - this will replace many different text layout engine implementations for different platforms with just one - common text layout engine. In the long run this will reduce the number of bugs even when in the beginning there will be some regressions. CTL is one of the main motivations for this change...

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
        CTL is one of the main motivations for this change...
        This is great to hear! Keep up the good work

Has the new layout engine been tested for CTL, specifically for Arabic script yet?

[I know HarfBuzz is written by Behdad Esfahbod, a native Persian speaker, and I'm sure he will not let Persian support go. But I don't know if he is involved in this Unified Text Layout engine.]

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post

This is great to hear! Keep up the good work

Has the new layout engine been tested for CTL, specifically for Arabic script yet?

[I know HarfBuzz is written by Behdad Esfahbod, a native Persian speaker, and I'm sure he will not let Persian support go. But I don't know if he is involved in this Unified Text Layout engine.]
          Khaled Hosny is the developer of this (and was the mentor to the GSOC student). He is also a contributor to Harfbuzz.

I would say testing this is always a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
            Anyway - this will replace many different text layout engine implementations for different platforms with just one - common text layout engine. In the long run this will reduce the number of bugs even when in the beginning there will be some regressions. CTL is one of the main motivations for this change...
            Ah. Does that mean the same text will look the same in W32, Linux, everywhere? No more different font rendering? (I got really huge documents that would easily mess up on different OS (but same HW), similar OS but different HW and so on.) That would be welcome.

> SAL_NO_COMMON_LAYOUT

semi-off-topic
            Is there anywhere a comprehensive and complete list of environment variables (also for mesa etc. related things) that just keeps a record what the variable is called, what it is good for, and if it is still in use? There are plenty of things one can adjust for the better (or worse) with these variables, but how to keep track of them? E.g. do we still have to force ENABLE_S3TC=1 for drivers to make use of dxtn/S3TC? Sometimes it's hard to find these "options" even in the official documentation.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
            X