Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.23.1 Released, First Step Towards GNOME 3.24

Phoronix: GNOME 3.23.1 Released, First Step Towards GNOME 3.24

GNOME 3.23.1 has been released as the first development milestone towards GNOME 3.24 that will be released next March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tested the memory consumption under Gnome and KDE on Fedora 23. I measured right after a reboot and was surprised, that Gnome takes 60 MB more memory than KDE.
    KDE feels also more lightweight, despite being more powerful.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by powerful.

I for one have been lost every time I have tried KDE and that feeling is very unempowering.

Comment

60 MB memory difference doe not sound like a good reason to switch to KDE. If the difference of 60 MB matters that much to you, you should probably take a look at more lightweight DE as there are several better options for that use case.

But if you are running a modern desktop computer with at least 8 GB of ram the difference of 60 MB should not matter that much of a difference.

Comment

I've been a huge fan of KDE during the time of KDE version 3.
          Since KDE version 4, I only had bugs and poor experience with it.
          I think that Gnome is simple and more stable.

Comment

You can now launch GNOME Calculator in your desired mode with parameter.

$ gnome-calculator --mode=programming

Programming, financial, advanced...

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
              60 MB memory difference doe not sound like a good reason to switch to KDE. If the difference of 60 MB matters that much to you, you should probably take a look at more lightweight DE as there are several better options for that use case.

But if you are running a modern desktop computer with at least 8 GB of ram the difference of 60 MB should not matter that much of a difference.
              I'm just saying, that I was surprised. For me KDE 5.7+ works really well. Have no issues.
              There is one app, which I don't use: KMail. It's too complicated and buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post

It's a reason when you have much more customizable and powerful DE and it uses less memory than stripped one.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  It depends on what you mean by powerful.

I for one have been lost every time I have tried KDE and that feeling is very unempowering.
                  It's strange, because KDE offers classic interface with every needed option. In Gnome you have to install gnome tweak to customize this DE. Furthermore, there are many non standard settings in Gnome like no minimize and stupid unlock screen which make it hardly comfortable to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's a reason when you have much more customizable and powerful DE and it uses less memory than stripped one.
                    Let me rephrase that for you so it does not sound like you want to compare d.: KDE feels powerful to you as it satisfies your needs of customization. To me GNOME feels powerful as I can get things done fast without distracting clutter and without KDEs default settings that feel alien and strange to me.

I am just asking myself why a technical versatile person would look at the difference of 60 MB of RAM usage when looking at two very different DE which clearly have different user bases in mind. Especially strange is that Steffo is not even able to provide us the full numbers (Total RAM used by both DE, how many extra packages where installed, running services etc.) so we really can make something out of those numbers.

I assume that a really stripped DE like XFCE and friends still uses a lot less memory then KDE while offering a lot of customization of their own.

And I am happy to sacrifice less than 1% of my total ram to for a better user experience geared towards my needs.

KDE and GNOME are geared toward different users with different needs and preferences.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's strange, because KDE offers classic interface with every needed option. In Gnome you have to install gnome tweak to customize this DE. Furthermore, there are many non standard settings in Gnome like no minimize and stupid unlock screen which make it hardly comfortable to use.
                    Yes it uses many non standard settings compared to classic desktops. GNOME 3 never had the goal to offer a classic desktop experience but a more modern one. KDE also has one click instead of double click which I do not like it, but i do not call that decision stupid as i expect KDEs userbase likes it that way and that there are people who are offered a better user expedience that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X