Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxhead
    replied
    XFCE does exactly what I want. It get's out of my way. All I need is a taskbar, multiple workspaces, multi monitor, doublecommander and a browser. The last thing I need is a desktop that looks too fancy by default. If that scares away the hipsters who only want eyecandy the good, pick another desktop environment. The only thing I miss in XFCE is a decent alt-tab window picker (like skippy-xd / compiz etc), and I would love to be able to desaturate the colors of non-active windows. Apart from that XFCE is stable as a rock so therefore it rocks , and I also agree that a move to GTK3 should bump the version number of XFCE4 to XFCE5

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    Originally posted by stqn View Post
    Oh wait not MATE, they are moving to Gtk3 too.
    Why not use GTK3? GTK3 is now in LTS, so no need to worry about them breaking things.
    As well, GTK3 isn't exactly bloated; I would argue GTK2 was more bloated, but realistically, most of the "bloat" in GNOME 3 comes from the shell, not the toolkit (it's gjs)... Well, unless you have some major beef with Cairo.

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied
    Also a new version of xfce4-terminal was quitely released which now makes use of gtk3 and have a better drop down animation when using the --drop-down option for easy 1 key terminal access, overall looks more sexier now

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
    So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.
    Agreed. It can even do borderless windows, which, for some reason, I quite like. The only setting I do is select a dark theme.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by stqn View Post

People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…
    Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
    So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Oh wait not MATE, they are moving to Gtk3 too.

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.
    People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…

Leave a comment:

• Zeioth
    replied
    Yes. Changes on that, and their landing page would have a huge impact on users perception. It's very from 2004.
    Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.
    Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.

Leave a comment:

• Zeioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    Such an ugly desktop environment and slow in development, if I wanted something lightweight but still decent looking I would opt for MATE or LQXT.
    Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X