xfce4-panel 4.12.1 Released, Xfce 4.14 Still A Long Ways Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
    So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.
    KDE default is ugly, always ugly look something weak

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      With a nice theme, Xfce works fine for me. But it does feel like it's getting old in certain areas so I am probably switching to KDE or Gnome on my next upgrade.
      the big problem is the hdpi support, but it is good for weak laptops/pc´s, much more stable than lxde and less resource ungry than MATE

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.
        I agree the default theme seems windows 2000 but there are a lot of good looking themes that can be used in few clicks, it's easy and full customizable in few clicks like no other, distros like xubuntu had a very nice and easy to use default theme. In my opinion xfce is one of the best DE, maybe the best, actually I prefer it also on Mate/gnome2 because is lighter and most default apps (thunar, system monitor) are lighther and faster when opening. For me xfce is also the best DE for terminal servicies purposes (x2go, nx, ltsp) because with the right theme it's nice also without compositing, i always use it with x2go with plank dock for terminal servicies.... and I am incredibily happy.

Comment

+1 on a new theme. Doesn't need to be flashy, actually nice and to the point. I don't like OS X for various reasons, but their UI upgrade that happened 10.9 -> 10.10 was nice. Personal opinion, it looks so much nicer. Using the latest GTK3 with the default CSS-like built in styling engine would mean people could make this already lightweight and stable DE look good.

What I am actually hoping for is that once Wayland becomes more common place is for someone to create a nice, lightweight and stable DE/shell that does window management well. Maybe something that can do both tiling and floating. Take parts of i3/Sway that are nice with also the ideas of a traditional desktop (like XFCE is) but keep focus on the work not excess "bling", Let there be different modes people can switch between (like tiling vs. traditional desktop) depending on currently workflow required. Keep it simple yet effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Well it makes sense, GTK3 is going to be stable/LTS. So considering their slow development, targeting the LTS makes sense.
            Sure. I understand GTK3 was a problem, and can be considered as stable since 3.22.
            I hope GTK4 will be more stable than GTK3...

Comment

As waxhead said, it also does everything I need.
              Panel to launch apps, notification space, keep out of the way...
              I like the idea of Wayland but have no urgent need for it.
              I tried KDE Plasma recently and promptly uninstalled it. Was very pretty but couldn't be bothered putting in the time with the default apps (I chose minimal). Didn't seem faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post

Sure. I understand GTK3 was a problem, and can be considered as stable since 3.22.
                I hope GTK4 will be more stable than GTK3...
                Well that's the thing, 4.0 is in development right now, so they shouldn't be worrying about that until gtk5 branches, which denotes 4.0 as being stable. Focusing on 3.22 makes the most sense until then, which won't be expected for another 2-3 years.

Their new development model should assure the stability people want. Allan Day made a nice little diagram if you haven't seen it:

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
                  I tried KDE Plasma recently and promptly uninstalled it. Was very pretty but couldn't be bothered putting in the time with the default apps (I chose minimal). Didn't seem faster.
                  KDE is on my machine noticeable faster than Gnome. It feels even faster than KDE 4 (which I use at work).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

My kid did use for while xubuntu and it was difficult to maintain, software center is too simple compared to Synaptic and there was only on workspace. Ubuntu is for dummies. Be smarter and use lighter, faster, stable and more configurable distributions.
                    So, your kid couldn't figure out he/she could install Synaptic from the Software Center? See what prolongued exposure to Debian will do to you?

Comment

Ubuntu is difficult to maintain
                      My kid had problems with it
                      Ubuntu is for dummies

LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X