X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xorg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Well it makes sense, GTK3 is going to be stable/LTS. So considering their slow development, targeting the LTS makes sense.
    Sure. I understand GTK3 was a problem, and can be considered as stable since 3.22.
    I hope GTK4 will be more stable than GTK3...

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    +1 on a new theme. Doesn't need to be flashy, actually nice and to the point. I don't like OS X for various reasons, but their UI upgrade that happened 10.9 -> 10.10 was nice. Personal opinion, it looks so much nicer. Using the latest GTK3 with the default CSS-like built in styling engine would mean people could make this already lightweight and stable DE look good.

What I am actually hoping for is that once Wayland becomes more common place is for someone to create a nice, lightweight and stable DE/shell that does window management well. Maybe something that can do both tiling and floating. Take parts of i3/Sway that are nice with also the ideas of a traditional desktop (like XFCE is) but keep focus on the work not excess "bling", Let there be different modes people can switch between (like tiling vs. traditional desktop) depending on currently workflow required. Keep it simple yet effective.

Leave a comment:

• gcomi1977
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.
    I agree the default theme seems windows 2000 but there are a lot of good looking themes that can be used in few clicks, it's easy and full customizable in few clicks like no other, distros like xubuntu had a very nice and easy to use default theme. In my opinion xfce is one of the best DE, maybe the best, actually I prefer it also on Mate/gnome2 because is lighter and most default apps (thunar, system monitor) are lighther and faster when opening. For me xfce is also the best DE for terminal servicies purposes (x2go, nx, ltsp) because with the right theme it's nice also without compositing, i always use it with x2go with plank dock for terminal servicies.... and I am incredibily happy.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    With a nice theme, Xfce works fine for me. But it does feel like it's getting old in certain areas so I am probably switching to KDE or Gnome on my next upgrade.
    the big problem is the hdpi support, but it is good for weak laptops/pc´s, much more stable than lxde and less resource ungry than MATE

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
    So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.
    KDE default is ugly, always ugly look something weak

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.
    MATE is more, but have a lot of more bugs, xfce is more stable

Leave a comment:

• cen1
    replied
    With a nice theme, Xfce works fine for me. But it does feel like it's getting old in certain areas so I am probably switching to KDE or Gnome on my next upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    Originally posted by Xorg View Post
    It seems they will switch to GTK3 when GTK4 will be released... =°
    Well it makes sense, GTK3 is going to be stable/LTS. So considering their slow development, targeting the LTS makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• DIRT
    replied
    Originally posted by stqn View Post

People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…

I'd have to agree xubuntu is a good xfce distro. Its the first distro I leave almost everything default after a clean install. I use it because I don't need to mess with it.

Don't worry about gtk3. A few parts of xfce has been gtk3 for a while and no one noticed a difference. I hate the 1 px window borders but I see that in a lot of desktop environments not just xfce. Xubuntu ships with an accessibility window theme I use for that exact reason.

Leave a comment:

• Xorg
    replied
    It seems they will switch to GTK3 when GTK4 will be released... =°

Leave a comment:

Working...
X