Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype 1.10 Linux Alpha Restores Video Calls Support

Phoronix: Skype 1.10 Linux Alpha Restores Video Calls Support

Microsoft today announced the Skype Linux Alpha 1.10 release that brings basic support for video calls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

New feature called Video Calls? What am I doing the whole time? I really don't get it.

Comment

Wasn't this a feature like 15 years ago?

(Checking calendar, no april 1. Time travel confirmed then.)

Comment

Ill stick to FaceTime thanks. :/

Comment

Video support would seem to be a necessary 1st step for a Video Chat App.

Comment

Steffo eydee
            This is referring to the "new improved" Skype, which to my recollection is based on web.skype.com, and doesn't have video support. The old Skype 4.3 for Linux supports video chat.

Comment

Well, Microsoft is doing more and more work for Linux. I really wonder why they supporting their enemies with software. Maybe they like to be prepared, when Windows will be completely based on Ubuntu Linux.
              At Microsoft it's just all about money and not about being nice to somebody or following some idealistic ways. The maintenance and coding of Windows is very expensive and consumes many many millions per year. How to avoid that expenses? Just let the Linux community do the work.
              One day Windows will be dead and it will be based all on Linux. The question is not if this will happen, it's just when this will happen.
              If you dpn't belive me, just remember about what I wrote in some years. Maybe 2 maybe 5 mabye 10.

Comment

Is it possible to run linux in some kind of sandbox like flatpak ? coz I don't have any trust in micro$oft

Comment

Originally posted by WLBI View Post
                  Well, Microsoft is doing more and more work for Linux. I really wonder why they supporting their enemies with software.
                  I have a feeling this has something to do with it:

Though if this is true, it reminds me of Caligula declaring war on Poseidon, telling his soldiers to attack the ocean (whether or not the story is true, it's still a good example).
                  At this point, MS realizes they're not going to win by fighting Linux, so the only way to get people to continue supporting their products is to cram them everywhere people go. Typically, MS only cares about server-related tasks for Linux, but the original owners of Skype had already created Linux clients, so I figure MS is just finishing where they left off.
                  At Microsoft it's just all about money and not about being nice to somebody or following some idealistic ways. The maintenance and coding of Windows is very expensive and consumes many many millions per year. How to avoid that expenses? Just let the Linux community do the work.
                  One day Windows will be dead and it will be based all on Linux. The question is not if this will happen, it's just when this will happen.
                  If you dpn't belive me, just remember about what I wrote in some years. Maybe 2 maybe 5 mabye 10.
                  That's really not how it works. First of all, MS isn't struggling financially and hasn't for over 2 decades. They can charge what they want and people will buy it. Second, home PCs are not profitable; it's workstations and servers where all the money is. That being said, there are paid versions of Linux in the enterprise world (take Red Hat, SUSE, IBM, and Oracle, just as a few examples) and these companies are doing pretty well for themselves.

Windows will not be dead in the foreseeable future, certainly not within 10 years. In the unlikely event Windows dies, it will certainly not be based on Linux. React OS being fully compatible with Windows XP software has a greater chance of happening than that.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                    Ill stick to FaceTime thanks. :/
                    Hey, let's have a video call!
                    Umm, I don't have any iDevices. That's not a problem is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X