Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    odd my post didnt post .
    did it again. fix the forum up Michael .

lets see if this posts

but good to see Epiphany getting an major update, it might be usable now

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: GNOME's Epiphany Browser Is Quick To Working On 3.24 FeaturesThe reason for moving to GPLv3+ appears to be over using GMP in the browser.
      Is somebody in this forum able to tell me what "GMP" stands for? Is it the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library? Why on earth would you need that library in a browser?

Comment

One thing that would be cool was if Epiphany was really secure. If it used seccomp and AppArmor, if they sandboxed it.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
          Is somebody in this forum able to tell me what "GMP" stands for? Is it the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library? Why on earth would you need that library in a browser?
          Arbitrary precision arithmetic. It means you can do lossless integer calculations and provide a higher than native precision for floats. Not sure where they need it but maybe Javascript or some decoders?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            One thing that would be cool was if Epiphany was really secure. If it used seccomp and AppArmor, if they sandboxed it.
            all AppArmor is just another SElinux program.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Arbitrary precision arithmetic. It means you can do lossless integer calculations and provide a higher than native precision for floats. Not sure where they need it but maybe Javascript or some decoders?
              So, can you confirm that it is really the Gnu GMP library they want to incorporate? This alone would make me not to use Epiphany in a long time. I'd consider it "bloatware".

I highly doubt that it'bee necessary to have arbitrary precision arithmetic for either Javascript or a decoder. In Javascript numbers are always 64-bit floating point.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

So, can you confirm that it is really the Gnu GMP library they want to incorporate? This alone would make me not to use Epiphany in a long time. I'd consider it "bloatware".

I highly doubt that it'bee necessary to have arbitrary precision arithmetic for either Javascript or a decoder. In Javascript numbers are always 64-bit floating point.
                \_(ツ)_/¯

The modern browsers are bloated anyway. Good luck browsing the web with Chromium for 2 weeks with 40-50 open tabs. You'll run out of memory unless you have more than 40 GB. Even closing the tabs won't free the memory. The memory consumption follows from (x+y) * z, where x is the number of tabs open, y the number of pages you've visited and z the uptime of the parent process. No matter that you do, you'll eventually run out of memory. Usually way too soon. How would you even debug that? It's a mess.

Comment

BTW, I've just considered installing Epiphany as an "option B" solution along existing Firefox.

"emerge -pv epiphany" listed 34new packages that would be installed for this lightweight browser, amongst them TWO ruby versions ( 2.0x and 2.1x, rubygems etc.
                  webkit-gtk as a dependancy is reasonable as well as some libraries, but so many dipshit packets are defeating its main purpose - to be small, dependable, robust tool.

Comment

Working...
                  X