GNOME's Epiphany Browser Is Quick To Working On 3.24 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

I don't expect from Epiphany to equal other major players. I expect from it to find its niche. I don't think Lynx is braindead just because Chrome is so much more powerful in every way. Lynx is specialized tool that has its uses.

But EPiphany is presented as awesome lightweight browser, and it is neither. It's hard to find a page that it can open in a useable way and after that it's hard to justify its use.
    mmm using epiphany on wayland with gnome wayland on archlinux(3.22) right now, which sites have problem for you? So far i've seen it uses less memory than chromium(probably is due to shared memory between gnome processes though) and in daily usage i haven't noticed any weird behaviour on sites either(at least not ovbious enough).

i agree that epiphany up to 3.18 was a mess but 3.20 and now 3.22 have improved greatly, to the point at least for me is totally usable even on wayland

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The great thing about Epiphany is that it natively runs on Wayland.
      Something neither Chrome or Firefox does (however, you can run them over XWayland).

Does Epiphany support the WebExtensions standard?
      If so then Chrome extensions should work.
      If Epiphany does support WebExtensions standard, could the PushBullet and Ghostery extension work?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

The browser with > 3% of the world's browser market share and the smallest financial backing is Firefox. The Mozilla Foundation has about three hundred million dollars in gross revenue per year. All of the other big players in the browser market: Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer/Edge have companies that do more than seventy billion dollars in gross revenue backing them.

It's not hard to understand that any other browser vendor is going to have problems - even if they use Webkit or other open source tools backed by the big players as a core component. I wish the Epiphany team all of the success in the world, but I'm not optimistic.
        I remember the time when I had fun trying all the niche browsers that existed on Mac and Linux - there were so much of them. I remember using OmniWeb, Camino and then Shiira on Mac, while using Konqueror, Galeon, and Epiphany on Linux. It is true that the transition to HTML 5 has been a tough one for Epiphany, but I think it is WAY more usable than Microsoft's "Edge." I just love the way it's crafted.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          If Epiphany does support WebExtensions standard, could the PushBullet and Ghostery extension work?
          I don't know. But if WebExtensions were to be supported, then I suppose all or most of the extensions for Chrome would work on Epiphany.

Comment

Epiphany actually supports touch screens out of the box, whereas Firefox does not (I hate Chrome, so I haven't tested that on my laptop with a touch screen). If they could fix up their javascript so it doesn't hang, or occasionally give me blank pages when using my work's intranet, I'd use it over chromium, since Chrome and it's ilk doesn't work correctly with the copy/paste buffer.

Comment

I use Epiphany, the name however is still taking me time to learn to spell when launching from Terminal.

This is what I like about it
              1 - It launches in about 0.5 seconds
              2 - It is compact and gets out of the way
              3 - Passwords integrate into Gnome Key Ring
              4 - AdBlock built in
              5 - Hotkeys are consistent with other Gnome Apps, Ctrl Page Up / Ctrl Page Down, etc...
              6 - It has a Debugger (F12)
              7 - Dark Theme search bar looks good, most browser do Dark Theme wrong (Firefox, Chrome, etc...)

What I don't like much about it
              1 - Importing Bookmarks from Firefox automatically didn't work.
              2 - You can't Import Bookmarks from Chrome that I know of.
              3 - Google Docs has a issue with it where it randomly crashes
              4 - No Netflix? (Honestly though I rarely use Netflix on Linux)
              5 - Start Screen in Dark Theme blinds my eyes with #FFFFFF
              6 - I can't set the homepage
              7 - I can't set the default zoom to 125% as I use 4k 40" without DPI Scaling so everything is 1:1
              8 - I'm also not sure if I always like the Location bar being hidden, It would be nice to be able to have it always on.
              9 - Private browsing in Epiphany has the text in the title bar on dark theme jacked up
              10 - Epiphany is hard to spell
              11 - Sometimes in Epiphany it will make <textareas> dark and not default the font color to white, so it will be black text #000 on grey #222

I think there's room for improvement but I really enjoy getting away from the complexities of Chrome and Firefox.

It feels like browsers try to be aircraft carriers these days and integrate every technology thinkable until you get things like Firefox Hello, My Opera, and essentially one app to rule them all as a Internet ambassador suite.

Comment

i'd have doubts Firefox will ever be usable in Wayland or Wayald compliant etc. but its good to see Epiphany getting the love it needs badly

Comment

odd my post didnt post .

Comment

Michael , what PHP version are you using to run this forum?

Comment

but good to see Epiphany getting this update an love like it should have gotten ages ago. it might be a usable browser for me now.

Comment

Working...
                      X