Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.24 Release Schedule Now Available

Phoronix: GNOME 3.24 Release Schedule Now Available

The GNOME 3.24 release schedule has been firmed up and is now publicized...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shouldn't this be Gnome 4?

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
      Shouldn't this be Gnome 4?
      If I understand it correctly, gtk will have it's own version system independent of GNOME.

Also it seems unclear if 3.22, 3.24 or 3.26 will be the LTS prior to the gtk 4.0 release, as I've read conflicting information from various developers.

Even wiki.gnome.org seems inconsistent with Allan's last blog post.
      See wiki (updated sept 13):

Blog post (on sept 1):

Comment

GNOME 4.0 HYPE 4 REAL!!

Anyway, I switched to KDE due to gome cutting functionalities and GTK themes being broken a couple of times a year. Also I prefer compositing DISABLED when I play videogyams...

But! Wayland is coming and the development of GTK+-4.0 seems reasonably laid out.
        I might try to switch back if the plan is to make it a real DESKTOP environment again.

Oh and --> Vala <-- is a beauty! Beaming up a GTK GUI in 5 lines of easy code is very attractive for a bunch of devs and bizs IMO. I would go full vala if I was a gnome dev.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
          GNOME 4.0 HYPE 4 REAL!!

Anyway, I switched to KDE due to gome cutting functionalities and GTK themes being broken a couple of times a year. Also I prefer compositing DISABLED when I play videogyams...

But! Wayland is coming and the development of GTK+-4.0 seems reasonably laid out.
          I might try to switch back if the plan is to make it a real DESKTOP environment again.

Oh and --> Vala <-- is a beauty! Beaming up a GTK GUI in 5 lines of easy code is very attractive for a bunch of devs and bizs IMO. I would go full vala if I was a gnome dev.

... you NEVER go full Vala!

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            GNOME 4.0 HYPE 4 REAL!!

Anyway, I switched to KDE due to gome cutting functionalities and GTK themes being broken a couple of times a year.
            Some features came back, e.g. batch renaming just came back in the latest version, and IMHO their way of doing batch renames is pretty awesome. IIRC they have some features removed because they didn't like them but didn't know how to improve yet.

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

... you NEVER go full Vala!
            Why is that?

Comment

Vala is unmaintained, and has barely been maintained for the past year, and has a questionable future at this point. Projects certainly shouldn't be moving to Vala.

There is some discussion on the mailinglist: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/vala...er/thread.html

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
                Why is that?
                It's a paraphrased quote from a movie, just had to write it since (s)he said "Go full Vala". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVagQ_LVd4
                Last edited by Azpegath; 05 October 2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post
                  Vala is unmaintained, and has barely been maintained for the past year, and has a questionable future at this point. Projects certainly shouldn't be moving to Vala.

There is some discussion on the mailinglist: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/vala...er/thread.html
                  Crap...

Still, a lot o projects rely on it, both in the gnome environment and outside. So maybe it's "just" a matter of finding a new dev team.
                  One thing is for sure: developing GUIs in C, in 2016 it's not funny. Hell even C++ seems to be loosing ground in this regard!

Comment

Working...
                  X