Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Web Engine Now Supports Promises, Continues Churning Along

Phoronix: Servo Web Engine Now Supports Promises, Continues Churning Along

It's been nearly two months since last writing about Mozilla's Servo web layout engine (in early August, back when WebRender2 landed) but development has kept up and they continue enabling more features for this next-generation alternative to Gecko...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tried servo+browserhtml yesterday, according to the terminal output, they haven't implemented document.write yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
      Tried servo+browserhtml yesterday, according to the terminal output, they haven't implemented document.write yet.
      i dont think its any point in using it or bothering bout it yet till maybe halfway through next year .

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
        For what it's worth, document.write is mostly only used by advertisements. I have worked for the last four years as a professional front-end javascript developer and I have not used document.write even once.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

For what it's worth, document.write is mostly only used by advertisements. I have worked for the last four years as a professional front-end javascript developer and I have not used document.write even once.
          Likewise. For the most part, it's one of those things that dates to the early days of Javascript, and has very little (if any) practical value anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i dont think its any point in using it till maybe in 2-4 years.
            Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Fixed.
              Maybe for you; personally I used Mozilla (not FF) when it was 0.7, after fooling around with some of the Milestone release (I think earliest I tried was maybe M14?)

Comment

The lack of document.write really is sad since many pages i would've liked to try on Servo rely on it.
                Overall Servo is doing pretty well, i just sort of hope the developers would be doing more by themselves. As it currently is, they try to flag as many issues as possible as "noob-firendly" / "easy", so they can get new developers implementing those. It'd take them maybe 20 minutes to implement them by themselves but instead they let them sit on the issue tracker for 6+ months until someone decides to pick them up.

Just saying, with the current pace it's going to be a long time before it'll be anywhere near production-ready.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                  The lack of document.write really is sad since many pages i would've liked to try on Servo rely on it.
                  Overall Servo is doing pretty well, i just sort of hope the developers would be doing more by themselves. As it currently is, they try to flag as many issues as possible as "noob-firendly" / "easy", so they can get new developers implementing those. It'd take them maybe 20 minutes to implement them by themselves but instead they let them sit on the issue tracker for 6+ months until someone decides to pick them up.

Just saying, with the current pace it's going to be a long time before it'll be anywhere near production-ready.
                  Do them.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

Wow, I have the polar opposite view to you. It's brilliant that they flag some simple-to-fix issues as "noob-friendly" as it helps get a community forming around this new technology.

Isn't that half the point of open source, to make it easy for people to contribute?

Comment

Working...
                    X