No announcement yet.

Servo Web Engine Now Supports Promises, Continues Churning Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servo always supported promises! They promise to be a better web engine, yet they take like forever to achieve to be able to replace Gecko (if they'll ever be able to).

They are becoming a running joke like GNU Hurd

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
      It'd take them maybe 20 minutes to implement them by themselves but instead they let them sit on the issue tracker for 6+ months until someone decides to pick them up.
      Even if they close all of the 20 minute issues they'll still need to do the meaty ones at some point. Why not let others handle the low-hanging branches instead? If nobody picks them up then the core developers will eventually do them and the overall completion rate won't be any different than if they'd started with the small tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Servo always supported promises! They promise to be a better web engine, yet they take like forever to achieve to be able to replace Gecko (if they'll ever be able to).

They are becoming a running joke like GNU Hurd
        To be anywhere near Hurd they need to still suck ass hard in 2027 or something.

Comment

The comparison with HURD is unfair. Hurd is a revolutionary kernel design that may never work.

Servo is written in a new language, but it's just another browser.

Comment

GNU Hurd never ready state record is nearly impossible to surpass, I agree. It was a comical comparison.

A web browser these days is practically an operating system, it just lacks a kernel. Do you remember Emacs? That's nothing in comparison!

Isn't Servo developed in part to show Rust capabilities and a way to check it in real use cases? To me it seems like a modernized Ada, I don't get why it doesn't get more financial support even from military.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              GNU Hurd never ready state record is nearly impossible to surpass, I agree. It was a comical comparison.

A web browser these days is practically an operating system, it just lacks a kernel. Do you remember Emacs? That's nothing in comparison!

Isn't Servo developed in part to show Rust capabilities and a way to check it in real use cases? To me it seems like a modernized Ada, I don't get why it doesn't get more financial support even from military.
              Because its a dyslexic combination of half baked languages. Its syntax is beyond horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

For what it's worth, document.write is mostly only used by advertisements. I have worked for the last four years as a professional front-end javascript developer and I have not used document.write even once.
                Some sites print all their content with document.write. The page is empty without it. For instance our sharepoint server at work relies on it far too much.

Comment

microcode

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Some sites print all their content with document.write. The page is empty without it. For instance our sharepoint server at work relies on it far too much.
                  OpenBenchmarking.org dynamic graph serving also relies upon document.write.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    OpenBenchmarking.org dynamic graph serving also relies upon document.write.
                    Really? What for? That API is one of the worst ideas ever introduced into Javascript... dumping stuff into the DOM tree wherever the parser is currently looking. Let me quote from the spec:

Warning: This method has very idiosyncratic behavior. In some cases, this method can affect the state of the HTML parser while the parser is running, resulting in a DOM that does not correspond to the source of the document. In other cases, the call can clear the current page first, as if document.open() had been called. In yet more cases, the method is simply ignored, or throws an exception. To make matters worse, the exact behavior of this method can in some cases be dependent on network latency, which can lead to failures that are very hard to debug. For all these reasons, use of this method is strongly discouraged.
                    Sane code generally just does DOM manipulation, or sets the innerHTML property of a target HTML element...

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Because its a dyslexic combination of half baked languages. Its syntax is beyond horrid.
                      Could your please elaborate about that? Because there's lots of hype and good opinions about Rust, with new lIbraries and projects appearing all time.

It would be very interesting to know your reasons and argument about it in a detailed manner. You can provide URLs and code examples about that if you want, it would be very welcomed to know more c other than the mainstream opinion about Rust programming language.

What do you think about latest C++ standard and the future version?

Comment

Working...
                      X