KDE Introduces An Advisory Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    ... the fact that GNOME isn't adding nor fixing anything noteworthy to the DE, which is the only thing that most people asks from them.
    GNOME, like KDE, is a vendor with more products than just a DE or desktop shell, the difference seems to be mostly how they schedule releases.
    So a GNOME release could very well be mostly about changes in the applications, which KDE would reflect as a release of KDE Applications.

So I think it is OK for a GNOME release to be sometimes focused on either desktop or applications.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Who can pass on an opportunity to show how open minded they are?
      I can assure you that that wasn't what I was trying to accomplish. Is that all I'm getting across?
      I do find these arguments annoying, I hoped I could have a bit of positive influence. (Not that I had high hopes of it changing, but it seemed worth a try.) DO you know of a better tactic? Is it better to do nothing about it?
      I guess a part of me finds these threads to be a bit amusing, as I keep visiting them...

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
        I can assure you that that wasn't what I was trying to accomplish. Is that all I'm getting across?
        I was referring to those turning these threads into flame wars.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
          And, please stop "fixing" posts starshipeleven, its just annoying and I see it way too often. If you disagree with someone you can hold a civil discussion with with that person, don't respond like a five year old.
          Holding a civil discussion with trolls is pointless, hence why I react in a way they can understand, by counter-trolling them hard without giving them anything to hold on to.

In case you didn't notice, I am capable of sustaining civil discussions too, and I do engage in them if the other person is also capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Are you talking about yourself, Luke? Because all I see is hollow accusations from a person I know nothing about. I would like to see some proofs but I guess it's you who's actually trolling here because unlike you I don't make things up and I actually help open source projects. But you're free to threaten me as much as you want - this changes nothing and only shows what a petty nothing you are.
            That's cute, Mr. "I Come into KDE Threads And Lie About There Not Being Any Changes" (and you posting to slashdot in order to support your claim... is well... trite), and your list of bullshit that you keep posting in every single thread by the way? It's about as valid as anything I might find on AboutTheBSDs, which is to say... not at all. As to you being run off the form, that's not a threat but a warning, the community here does not take kindly to those who go on extended trolling campaigns and don't ever actually say anything useful at all, and if you keep pushing as hard as you have, you're going to make the pitchforks and torches come out just like they did for FunkStar, and when that day comes I won't be part of the mob, but I absolutely won't be there there to defend you.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              I really like KDE, Qt and stuff, but every time I think about it, I cannot see how developers could have thought that Javascript would be a good thing on the desktop. Even with today's interpreters, it is inherently slow. Powerful, but slow. That's my only gripe with KDE: compilation time might not be extreme, but they add up. Every time I open a new menu, a new app, etc. It just can't feel snappy.

Don't get me wrong, I am writing this on plasma 5. But I wish things could have been different.
              Javascript isn't used for applications. It is used to describe the layout of applications. It is basically used as a markup language rather than a proper programming language.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That's cute, Mr. "I Come into KDE Threads And Lie About There Not Being Any Changes" (and you posting to slashdot in order to support your claim... is well... trite), and your list of bullshit that you keep posting in every single thread by the way? It's about as valid as anything I might find on AboutTheBSDs, which is to say... not at all. As to you being run off the form, that's not a threat but a warning, the community here does not take kindly to those who go on extended trolling campaigns and don't ever actually say anything useful at all, and if you keep pushing as hard as you have, you're going to make the pitchforks and torches come out just like they did for FunkStar, and when that day comes I won't be part of the mob, but I absolutely won't be there there to defend you.
                I could have simply said "Fuq off, idiot", but instead I will ask you to name notable changes in the last three major KDE plasma/frameworks/KDE applications.

Name, please:

New applications.
                Or new break through features.
                Or serious optimizations in regard to CPU/memory usage (last time I checked a KDE session with zero (!) running applications or applets consume over 500MB of RAM)
                Or anything worthy at all.

I don't give a flying fuq about worthless Plasma applets or Plasma features - for the most part people are not dealing with the desktop at all - most sane people run some applications all the time - they almost never see or interact with their desktop. Again, I do not give a flying fuq about applets, notifications, and alike. These are all bells and whistles.

Does KDE have an application for grabbing video/photos from my webcam? Nothing at all.
                Does KDE have a decent application for recording audio? Nothing at all.
                Does KDE have an application for desktop session recorder? Nothing that I can think of.

When will you fix system tray icons for XEmbed applications? When?! It's been broken for three fuqing years already!! WTF?!!
                When will you finally properly port Qt3/Qt4/KDE3/KDE4 applications to KF5?

You are so full of BS. A person who loved KDE 3.5.x but who dares to see the BS in always broken/incomplete KDE4/KDE5 has suddenly become a troll.

Go fuq yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I could have simply said "F off, idiot", but instead I will ask you to name notable changes in the last three major KDE plasma/frameworks/KDE applications.

Name, please:

New applications.
                  Or new break through features.
                  Or serious optimizations in regard to CPU/memory usage (last time I checked a KDE session with zero (!) running applications or applets consume over 500MB of RAM)
                  Or anything worthy at all.

I don't give a flying f about worthless Plasma applets or Plasma features - for the most part people are not dealing with the desktop at all - most sane people run some applications all the time - they almost never see or interact with their desktop. Again, I do not give a flying fuq about applets, notifications, and alike. These are all bells and whistles.

Does KDE have an application for grabbing video/photos from my webcam? Nothing at all.
                  Does KDE have a decent application for recording audio? Nothing at all.
                  Does KDE have an application for desktop session recorder? Nothing that I can think of.

When will you fix system tray icons for XEmbed applications? When?! It's been broken for three effing years already!! WTF?!!
                  When will you finally properly port Qt3/Qt4/KDE3/KDE4 applications to KF5?

You are so full of B.S. A person (me) who loves KDE 3.5.x but who dares see the B.S. in always broken/incomplete KDE4/KDE5 has suddenly become a troll. This is my last post in this thread.

Comment

birdie Without thinking too much, I'm going to add indexing and an awesome KRunner. I'm not nearly the man you are, so I occasionally still use the desktop...

Comment

Its interesting to look at the differences between the members between the KDE advisory board and the Gnome advisory board.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Holding a civil discussion with trolls is pointless, hence why I react in a way they can understand, by counter-trolling them hard without giving them anything to hold on to.
                      I Don't know if that's a good idea. That explanation does make those "fixes" less annoying, though.
                      In case you didn't notice, I am capable of sustaining civil discussions too, and I do engage in them if the other person is also capable of.
                      I did notice that, yes. It would have been hard for me to avoid seeing those posts.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I was referring to those turning these threads into flame wars.
                      Thanks for clarifying. Communicating is not my strongest point...

Comment

Working...
                      X