X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloggerKhan
    replied
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Debian has undergone the rebranding path time ago, although for more fundamental reasons than people getting annoyed at an EULA (quite rightly, in my opinion). To repeat what others have said, the only thing they have to do, as well as the simplest, is to adopt Iceweasel and move Firefox to contrib or whatever repository.

"Ubuntu Web Browser"...well, you'll realize how ridiculous this is if you think about "Gentoo Web Browser", "Mepis Web Browser" or "FreeBSD Web Browser"...
    I think this is bigger issue than anyone realizes. The next thing you know, there'll be a big EULA every times you launch any program for the first time and it'll be annoying and defeat part of the point of using linux. Nobody's gonna read that damn thing, all it will do is annoy people. Yeah, fine, they have certain rights w/ regard to firefox, its logo, etc. Well, they don't go away if everyone is inconvenience by mindlessly clicking yes like a zombie.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    Debian has undergone the rebranding path time ago, although for more fundamental reasons than people getting annoyed at an EULA (quite rightly, in my opinion). To repeat what others have said, the only thing they have to do, as well as the simplest, is to adopt Iceweasel and move Firefox to contrib or whatever repository.

"Ubuntu Web Browser"...well, you'll realize how ridiculous this is if you think about "Gentoo Web Browser", "Mepis Web Browser" or "FreeBSD Web Browser"...

Leave a comment:

• Mithrandir
    replied
    It seems that IceWeasel is the most popular choice. 99 for IceWeasel vs -75 for Firefox.

Last edited by Mithrandir; 15 September 2008, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    I think that rebranding Firefox to "Ubuntu Web Browser" [...]
    "(OS) (type of program)"
    Why put the OS in front of the type? Why not say "Web Browser" or something like this, as gcalctool is called "Calculator" and so on?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    They only need to use iceweasel/icedove from Debian.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    I think that rebranding Firefox to "Ubuntu Web Browser" would be the best course of action. Same with any other open-source programs that decide to act up on branding.

"(OS) (type of program)"

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied

TRS-80, you nailed it.

Leave a comment:

• TRS-80
    replied
    As a Debian/iceweasel user, all I can do is laugh. The other stupid thing firefox has is "this will void your warranty" on about:config, even when the EULA says you have no warranty.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    Rebrand it-- and since you're not under their control anymore, fix the bedanged thing!

Why is the default gui layout so frigging bloated? Mine is:

---------------------
    [title bar]
    File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help (<) (>) (@) (+) (x) [awesome bar]
    [tab bar]
    content
    ---------------------

Spreading visually noisy garbage and redundancy out does not lessen it.

Leave a comment:

• bruno08
    replied
    Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
    "User friendlyness -or- Brand protection"

I have to disagree, placing something like "Iceweasel" instead of Firefox would be very bad<cut>
    I didn't mean Ubuntu had to choose, instead I ment the Mozilla crew had to choose their path..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X