Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zhick
    replied
    After some more thinking about the subject it really seems the best thing to make iceweasel the default but to keep firefox in the repos. So if a user really wants that slightly nicer looking icon he still can get it easily.

Leave a comment:

• sock
    replied
    Good news

Mark Shuttleworth has just added another comment to the bug on launchpad. One of the things that he says is "at the moment, we're in detailed negotiations with a company that makes a lot of popular hardware to release their drivers as free software - they are currently proprietary. It would not be possible to hold those negotiations if every step of the way turned into a public discussion." The only company that I can think of that makes a lot of popular hardware and provides proprietory drivers is nvidia

Leave a comment:

• he_the_great
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well when you install iceape then you can chose it with:

update-alternatives --config mozilla
    Yeah, yotambien, don't bother creating the symlink yourself, call another program that asks you questions to do it for you.

Kano, it is either going to be a symlink, hardlink, or copy. The only intelligent option is symlink. You have only brought about a pointless argument to the table.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well when you install iceape then you can chose it with:

update-alternatives --config mozilla

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    You don't need that symlink. You can execute iceweasel with firefox or even mozilla.
    mozilla executes Iceape (Seamonkey), while firefox launches Iceweasel. And I would thought that this is just because they are symlinked upon installation.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You don't need that symlink. You can execute iceweasel with firefox or even mozilla.

Leave a comment:

• karthikrg
    replied
    ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/iceweasel

Simple solution to all problems I think debian has done such a thing coz when i type firefox, iceweasel launches flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• he_the_great
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    I present you Newbie McWindows. He is a windows user. He knows firefox.
    He heard about that ubuntu stuff and decides to try it.

After some little problems, he get it installed.

'I need a browser' thinks Newbie. 'I have firefox on windows and I know it works with that lunux stuff too.'
    1) no firefox:
    'but where is it?' Iceanimal? Never heart of! Lunix sucks!'

2) firefox+eula
    'oh well. like in windows *click*'
    'I need a browser' programs->internet->web browser 'hey this looks like Firefox'

I don't use Ubuntu, but usually programs were named by they function. In any case, that is exactly the reason they would leave Firefox in the repo to be installed. I have another possible thought for the newbie.

'No web browser?' "Hey Joe, when you told me to try this Ubuntu, you didn't mention there wouldn't be a browser."

or

'need browser... mozilla.com' (windows user remember?)

Leave a comment:

• myxal
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    Why put the OS in front of the type? Why not say "Web Browser" or something like this, as gcalctool is called "Calculator" and so on?
    I'll second that. And add in a comment that addressed this very issue, albeit on the other OS:
    Originally posted by www.hanselman.com
    Then look at the apps. Why does the start menu come up with a load of apps down the left with names that all start Windows. I know I'm in Windows. You don't need to waste all the screen real estate telling me.
    Original here.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    I present you Newbie McWindows. He is a windows user. He knows firefox.
    He heard about that ubuntu stuff and decides to try it.

After some little problems, he get it installed.

'I need a browser' thinks Newbie. 'I have firefox on windows and I know it works with that lunux stuff too.'
    1) no firefox:
    'but where is it?' Iceanimal? Never heart of! Lunix sucks!'

2) firefox+eula
    'oh well. like in windows *click*'

Leave a comment:

Working...
X