No announcement yet.

Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Iceweasel is one dumb idea that nobody knows about: http://www.google.com/trends?q=firefox%2C+iceweasel

(yes, you might not see it on the graph)

For comparison, even ubuntu doesn't scale up: http://www.google.com/trends?q=firef...ate=all&sort=0

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
      "User friendlyness -or- Brand protection"

I have to disagree, placing something like "Iceweasel" instead of Firefox would be very bad to the end user, because Firefox is a known brand, and people like Firefox. When these people that know Firefox but doesn't know these trademark issues install Ubuntu will just look and say: "What the hell is this iceweasel?" and even if these people understands later that it's just firefox with other name, the initial impact will be negative for Ubuntu.

AND, in other hand, many extensions will just not install if you are using something with a name different then Firefox. Downloading a .jar, unpacking, changing the version string in a xml, packing again, and installing manually isn't a good thing for everyone...
      Yes name branding is very important when you are trying to convince someone to switch and the best you can come up with is, hey they use Firefox. Yes, people are going to go, "WTF, where is Firefox its cross-platform why don't I see it in the repos." I did the same when it left my Debian (or before it left, but the upgrade was to Iceweasel). The solution is have Iceweasel by default and keep Firefox and their EULA in the repo for download.

I have several extensions installed, and the only ones I've had a problem with came from Google, and it was prevented long before Iceweasel tried to install it (ie a javascript check as to what browser I was using). Looking at the packaging information, the GUID is what identifies the app, I do not know if Iceweasel changes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
        Because Iceweasel is one dumb idea that nobody knows about: http://www.google.com/trends?q=firefox%2C+iceweasel

(yes, you might not see it on the graph)

For comparison, even ubuntu doesn't scale up: http://www.google.com/trends?q=firef...ate=all&sort=0
        How is it dumb? I don't have a EULA to click yes to. Who needs to search for Iceweasel? I already know it is Firefox and so everything I'm interested in would be under a search for Firefox and not Iceweasel.

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
          "User friendlyness -or- Brand protection"

I have to disagree, placing something like "Iceweasel" instead of Firefox would be very bad<cut>
          I didn't mean Ubuntu had to choose, instead I ment the Mozilla crew had to choose their path..

Comment

Rebrand it-- and since you're not under their control anymore, fix the bedanged thing!

Why is the default gui layout so frigging bloated? Mine is:

---------------------
            [title bar]
            File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help (<) (>) (@) (+) (x) [awesome bar]
            [tab bar]
            content
            ---------------------

Spreading visually noisy garbage and redundancy out does not lessen it.

Comment

As a Debian/iceweasel user, all I can do is laugh. The other stupid thing firefox has is "this will void your warranty" on about:config, even when the EULA says you have no warranty.

Comment

TRS-80, you nailed it.

Comment

I think that rebranding Firefox to "Ubuntu Web Browser" would be the best course of action. Same with any other open-source programs that decide to act up on branding.

"(OS) (type of program)"

Comment

They only need to use iceweasel/icedove from Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      I think that rebranding Firefox to "Ubuntu Web Browser" [...]
                      "(OS) (type of program)"
                      Why put the OS in front of the type? Why not say "Web Browser" or something like this, as gcalctool is called "Calculator" and so on?

Comment

Working...
                      X