MATE 1.16 Ready For Release, More GTK2 GNOME-Forked Code Ported To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.16 Ready For Release, More GTK2 GNOME-Forked Code Ported To GTK3

Phoronix: MATE 1.16 Ready For Release, More GTK2 GNOME-Forked Code Ported To GTK3

The various components of the GNOME2 desktop forked MATE code were checked in as version 1.16 today in preparation for announcing this next release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see that Wayland support is on their radar.

Comment

I went from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 with gnome-session-flashback, and now I am on GNOME 3 with classic mode extensions.

Comment

In my opinion MATE goes staedily to complete rewriting to GTK3. This version of the code is much more suitable for not only Wayland support but for future development.

Comment

My go-to light-weight DE - for my custom Ubuntu live-rebuilds. Love it!
          I can tolerate Gnome-Shell - but only just...

Comment

MATE 1.16 is being released in time to hopefully make it in Ubuntu 16.10
            Mate 1.16 will make it in Ubuntu MATE 16.10 for sure according to Wimpy: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/mate...ate-16-10/8877

Comment

This is great news, MATE + CentOS makes a rock solid workstation environment. I've tried gnome 3 a few times over the past few years, and each time I re-discover how much I dislike it, how clunky and cumbersome it is to use, and how it always feels like it's in the way, standing between you and productivity. MATE gives me back the quick responsive familiar gnome 2 interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Bravo MATE team on the upcoming release!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                This is great news, MATE + CentOS makes a rock solid workstation environment. I've tried gnome 3 a few times over the past few years, and each time I re-discover how much I dislike it, how clunky and cumbersome it is to use, and how it always feels like it's in the way, standing between you and productivity. MATE gives me back the quick responsive familiar gnome 2 interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Bravo MATE team on the upcoming release!
                This. Gnome 3 only works if you add tons of extensions to make it less crappy.

Comment

I hope the Mate team fixed some very nasty GTK3 related bugs.
                  My Debian Testing/Stretch Mate desktop is totally unusable at the moment.

Comment

agreed. contrastingly manjaro packages look good somehow.

Comment

Working...
                    X