Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emacs 25.1 Released With Cairo Drawing, Better Network Security

Phoronix: Emacs 25.1 Released With Cairo Drawing, Better Network Security

For those not running the new, feature-packed Vim 8.0, GNU Emacs 25.1 was released on Saturday with several new features and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still using Gentoo, is Emacs any good? Better network security sounds interesting, but not enough to switch from Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrowAway3000 View Post
      I'm still using Gentoo, is Emacs any good? Better network security sounds interesting, but not enough to switch from Gentoo.
      I'd stick with Gentoo if I were you. At least its package manager ships Vim.

Comment

OT: There are more text editors nowadays than Vim and Emacs Michael

Comment

Originally posted by koneu View Post
          OT: There are more text editors nowadays than Vim and Emacs Michael
          ...but none that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kibou View Post

...but none that matter.
            Vim and Emacs have steep learning curves.

nano, gedit and Atom are good.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

A learning curve is the relationship between time and knowledge, so a "steep learning curve" means you learn quickly. [/pet_peeve]

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Too many missing features.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

A learning curve is the relationship between time and knowledge, so a "steep learning curve" means you learn quickly. [/pet_peeve]
                  Where does Emacs have a steep learning curve? It can be used like any other, simpler text editor. Only when you need to do more can it also do more. This isn't a hurdle of emacs - it's a mountain of features that come with it and you don't need to know them all.
                  Now I could make an argument against vim and of how unintuitive it can be for beginners, but then again is vim a very common editor and can be found on the smallest devices, which makes it an editor worth getting into.
                  Both, emacs and vim, are necessary evils for when there is no custom-tailored solution around, meaning, when there isn't an intelligent GUI frontend available for example. Not sure where this leaves nano, but it has its place among its fans, too.

The one thing I could blame emacs, vim & Co. for is that these are working way too good and are the reason why many tasks are missing good GUI frontends.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Too many missing features.
                    Kate is feature rich. Much more than nano and gedit.

Comment

Working...
                    X