Emacs 25.1 Released With Cairo Drawing, Better Network Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Kate is feature rich. Much more than nano and gedit.
    Also the cut-down version of Kate, Kwrite is still better than nano and gedit, with word completion and code folding.

Comment

Geany is also pretty much feature complete and easy to use

Comment

Emacs configuration is so complicated there are distributions for it: https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs

Comment

Between emacs bloat and vim's arcane language, Kate has cpp and xml... Sorry. Not sold.

Practically speaking, an acceptable lightweight but extendable editor would be something like vis or zile. And to be clear: I don't know ANY LUA and have no invested interest in neither. I'm simply remarking on what it takes design wise: You need a simple C core with a powerful extension language people can hack on.

In a perfect world, we'll all be using a modernized version of acme or sam highlighting, source trees and modern STDOUT\STDERR built-in consoles. But alas, programmers' laziness (yes, mine included) is keeping us in the terminal complaining about problems that were solved 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Between emacs bloat and vim's arcane language, Kate has cpp and xml... Sorry. Not sold.

Practically speaking, an acceptable lightweight but extendable editor would be something like vis or zile. And to be clear: I don't know ANY LUA and have no invested interest in neither. I'm simply remarking on what it takes design wise: You need a simple C core with a powerful extension language people can hack on.

In a perfect world, we'll all be using a modernized version of acme or sam highlighting, source trees and modern STDOUT\STDERR built-in consoles. But alas, programmers' laziness (yes, mine included) is keeping us in the terminal complaining about problems that were solved 30 years ago.

Interesting links. Didn't know about either of these. Thanks!

As far as easily hackable editors go, I'd throw javascript based solutions such as Ace or Code Mirror into the mix. Both are great frameworks to build standalone editors on and javascript is pretty much the most widespread scripting language available today.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Interesting links. Didn't know about either of these. Thanks!

As far as easily hackable editors go, I'd throw javascript based solutions such as Ace or Code Mirror into the mix. Both are great frameworks to build standalone editors on and javascript is pretty much the most widespread scripting language available today.
              While I hate javascript, Yes. If you're a javascript web dev then you should definitely be using a javascript based\extended editor. It's crucial the extension language will be something you can work with. I guess that adds legitimacy to Atom at least in those circles.

<RANT>Overall, choosing a tool that gets the job done is a time based function: Today, visual studio works for you. Tomorrow, it won't and then who you gonna call? Same goes for bloated editors written in obscure languages with ancient comparability stuff filling the code-base. If it's really a tool for programmers, then API should break as often as they need to instead of all this emacs\vim style "But my 20 years old script needs to keep working!" madness. It's a tool for programmers. They should re-code for the new APIs.</RANT>

Comment

+1. The best of all if you have a graphical interface
                If not stick to Emacs for features but shortcuts are awkward for beginners...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  It can be used like any other, simpler text editor.
                  Except Ctrl-C Ctrl-V does not work like any other, simpler text editor.

* Gedit
                  * Geany
                  * Kate
                  * Kdevelop
                  * QtCreator
                  * Visual Studio
                  * Mozilla Firefox
                  * Mozilla Thunderbird
                  * Notepad
                  * Libreoffice
                  * TexStudio

will all kindly copy / paste your damn text.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    Except Ctrl-C Ctrl-V does not work like any other, simpler text editor.
                    will all kindly copy / paste your damn text.
                    Your "damn" text, eh? Do know that Ctrl-C, -V and -X are actually coming from Windows. Under UNIX/X11 do most users use the left mouse button to select text and the middle mouse button to paste it. Only later did Ctrl-C, -V and -X find their way into UNIX and Linux and to make it easier for Windows users. The mouse method is however still faster, because it often requires no keyboard input at all.

Anyhow, to get Ctrl-C, -V and -X in Emacs just click on the menu "Options" and enable "use CUA Keys (Cut/Paste with C-x/C-c/C-v)". If you want to keep it on then don't forget to select "Save Options".

And "damn" the steep learning curve

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      Your "damn" text, eh? Do know that Ctrl-C, -V and -X are actually coming from Windows. Under UNIX/X11 do most users use the left mouse button to select text and the middle mouse button to paste it. Only later did Ctrl-C, -V and -X find their way into UNIX and Linux and to make it easier for Windows users. The mouse method is however still faster, because it often requires no keyboard input at all.

Anyhow, to get Ctrl-C, -V and -X in Emacs just click on the menu "Options" and enable "use CUA Keys (Cut/Paste with C-x/C-c/C-v)". If you want to keep it on then don't forget to select "Save Options".

And "damn" the steep learning curve
                      Not sure what you're talking about there.

That "Windows"-esque mechanism has been supported for a whole long while. Pretty much since the first release of xclipboard, in fact.
                      That "mouse method" is, as far as xclipboard is concerned, an entirely different mechanism.

You might want to look up the difference between Primary Selection and Clipboard, in case you aren't aware of it already.

Comment

Working...
                      X