Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 1.9.19 Brings Input Improvements, DC Rendering In Direct2D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 1.9.19 Brings Input Improvements, DC Rendering In Direct2D

    Phoronix: Wine 1.9.19 Brings Input Improvements, DC Rendering In Direct2D

    Wine 1.9.19 is available today as the latest bi-weekly Wine development release leading up to this winter's Wine 2.0 stable debut...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....9.19-Released

  • #2
    Is there any good measurement that Wine is really improving, some real testing, that is more bugs fixed and created? Im sick you implementation of some half working stubs/mocks reports..

    Comment


    • #3
      For some parts of DX11 progress, check this: https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.g...d3d11/device.c

      Comment


      • #4
        Why for example Red Hat, Valve or other big player did 5,10 millions of dollar into Wine? Maybe Wine should go to Kikcstarter and show, which goals would be possible to achieve for particular money..
        I think that Wine progress is too slow to be relevant, virtualization isnt solution, because is under big Vmware pay wall and you still need to buy Win license and even then, they dumped developement of XP and Win98 drivers long, long time ago. Virtualbox is joke and KVM is cumbersome (i saw some solution, where virtual machine was started at boot and need to specific assigned monitor input and second mouse and keyboard and its no go and you still need a Windows license).

        You really need to do big things to be competition with Microsoft and without emulation is not possible and even then look at DR-DOS, it could be enough, but Linux is not even there, we will be enslaved by MS at least for next 10 years, if not really big change would emerge.

        Comment


        • #5
          WineHQ Completion on Kickstarter or under the Free Software Foundation Money. I totally agree, someone must think about the end of closed software now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            Is there any good measurement that Wine is really improving, some real testing, that is more bugs fixed and created? Im sick you implementation of some half working stubs/mocks reports..
            Yeah, they usually break as much as they fix.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ruthan View Post
              I think that Wine progress is too slow to be relevant, virtualization isnt solution, because is under big Vmware pay wall and you still need to buy Win license and even then, they dumped developement of XP and Win98 drivers long, long time ago. Virtualbox is joke and KVM is cumbersome (i saw some solution, where virtual machine was started at boot and need to specific assigned monitor input and second mouse and keyboard and its no go and you still need a Windows license).
              Many Linux users don't really depend on Wine anymore. My office PC uses it because I need it for MS Office (and I need MS Office because Libreoffice lacks some features I need) but I haven't used it on my home PCs in maybe 7 or 8 years.

              To me, the main problem with Wine inevitably comes down to non-Linux OSes it is also ported on. Wine is meant to support Windows applications on a non-Windows OS, and the only "easy" way to do that is to emulate things like .NET or DirectX. Much of Wine's funding is from Codeweavers, and their primary client base is Mac users. If Wine was meant for Linux-only, the devs could focus on DirectX implementations in mesa (like gallium 9). By taking out the translation layer, you get better performance and eliminate a lot of possible bugs. That being said, the devs would be able to spend their time fixing non-graphical problems. Life would be so much easier and Wine would probably quadruple in software compatibility by now if this is how things worked. But unless wine gets forked, it'll never happen.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Many Linux users don't really depend on Wine anymore. My office PC uses it because I need it for MS Office (and I need MS Office because Libreoffice lacks some features I need) but I haven't used it on my home PCs in maybe 7 or 8 years.
                I have still 2 applications. One from my broker who only makes a windows version of the software.
                This runs on wine already for many years.
                Wine is very welcome to run this mostly simple software from companies that only provide a windows version of their software.
                It makes the switch to running linux only so much easier.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wrote Codeweavers support to ask about DirectX 11 support in Crossover. They wrote me back that DirectX 11 (I asume first iteration) support is planned in Crossover Linux 16, which is planned to be released at the end of the year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The problem with WINE is it's always chasing the new sexy features from Windows. Rather than fixing what's already broken. DirectX 1-6 don't even work properly and yet they trumpet on about 10/11/12 support. If I can't play my historical catalogue of applications, what the hell makes them think I'll trust my new applications to work? I've basically given up on using wine. I waited 16 years for them to fix my applications and they're still broken. I've submitted bug reports, tried to work within their frameworks for getting things fixed and my applications still don't work correctly. At least with the Linux kernel I created a bug report, mailed a dev and within 2-3 days had a fix submitted/working. WINE is broken and will continue to be broken. ReactOS seems to be making better progress than WINE now. What we really just need is KVM to gain support for emulating a Voodoo2 and a midrange NVIDIA card. Then we won't need wine anymore. Emulation will be enough.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X