Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary OS 0.4 "Loki" Released

Phoronix: Elementary OS 0.4 "Loki" Released

More than one year after the last Elementary OS Linux distribution update that focuses upon design elegance, v0.4 "Loki" was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Elementary has simply the most beautiful DE on Linux world. It's very polished too. Some complain it's unstable, but I never had this kind of issue (maybe because I use legacy hardware, don't know). The only thing that bothers me is its Ubuntu-base. Although it's ways faster and more stable than Ubuntu, I think Elementary would have a lot more potencial if made from scratch or another better distro.

Lovely release, hope it continue growing.

Comment

Port it to Arch, eOS .deb inheritance makes it go stale fast

Comment

Elementary is on my Linux test list for my Windows replacement project. I like the GUI, though there are some minor quibbles in window behavior I am waiting on them to update (I still have to test Loki). I have reviewed the GUI design with some Mac people and they like it, it seems to meld the best of several desktop flavors into one. In the interest of them continuing development, I made a healthy donation to the Elementary dev team (more than I would pay for Windows) to say thanks and keep going. I am looking forward to more development releases, I think they have the right idea on several fronts.

Comment

Finally a release based on a post-systemd-switch Ubuntu release. Trying to use it seriously without a couple of tools that I'm accustomed to, would have been a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
            Elementary has simply the most beautiful DE on Linux world. It's very polished too. Some complain it's unstable, but I never had this kind of issue (maybe because I use legacy hardware, don't know). The only thing that bothers me is its Ubuntu-base. Although it's ways faster and more stable than Ubuntu, I think Elementary would have a lot more potencial if made from scratch or another better distro.

Lovely release, hope it continue growing.
            My experience has been that Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) releases are great and Ubuntu's other releases were excellent up until 2010 or so and since then have been inconsistent - some are as stable as the LTS releases, some are buggy. I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my work laptop because it's the only version of Linux supported by the VPN software for our corporate firewall. I haven't had any hangs, crashes, or other issues for years and my dual monitor setup works fine.

I have two personal machines that I share with my kids. One runs Elementary OS 0.3 Freya - I haven't been prompted to upgrade to Loki yet - and the other runs Ubuntu MATE 16.04. (Edit: I just looked, and the Elementary OS developers don't support in place major version upgrades. If I want Loki, I have to re-install. Yuck. Oh well. I like the software well enough to do it.)
            Last edited by Michael_S; 10 September 2016, 11:58 AM.

Comment

does anybody knows if there's Google Drive support in their version of Files (I might think they use the default file manager as in Gnome)? Cheers

Comment

I've tried Pantheon Desktop Environment in Arch Linux after I add the Pantheon repository, but it's not as flawless as compared to elementary OS. However, I prefer rolling release and I'd rather stick with Arch Linux. I prefer bleeding edge software over stability, even though my experience with Arch Linux has been stable for me once I switch over to GNOME 3.20. In Arch Linux, there are bzr and non-bzr Pantheon-related packages. Plus, Pantheon Terminal gives me an error from the start of opening terminal and every command unless I add the code to .bashrc:

Code:
                export PROMPT_COMMAND=`dbus-send --type=method_call --session --dest=net.launchpad.pantheon-terminal /net/launchpad/pantheon_terminal org.pantheon.terminal.ProcessFinished string:$PANTHEON_TERMINAL_ID string:"$(history 1 | cut -c 8-)" >/dev/null 2>&1;`
                And sometimes the Wing panel won't start unless I remove the pantheon-terminal and switch over to gnome-terminal. It said something about "opacity" key that does not exist in Pantheon Terminal.

But then again, as much as I love to move to elementary OS, Arch Linux is my choice. I like seeing what elementary has done for 0.3 and 0.4. As for now, I'm staying with GNOME 3.20 with dynamic top bar extension for dynamic transparency, simple dock, and a couple of extensions that give it a look and feel of elementary OS.

Comment

Ugh... The approval system for premium members such as me are an annoying prick. I posted it, and I get a message saying my reply is in the next page along with my post being empty, and now it's held in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    But then again, as much as I love to move to elementary OS, Arch Linux is my choice. I like seeing what elementary has done for 0.3 and 0.4. As for now
                    I am with you. Maybe one day when elementary got more traction, we will see proper Arch packages. Their philosophy is really nice. But I can understand that they rely this heavy on Ubuntu. Even Mint can't get away from it.

Comment

Working...
                    X