Adobe Returns To Updating NPAPI/Linux Flash Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    Get this error trying to access the W-4 forms on my employers website in chrome on mint:[/LIST]
    Seriously, GDIT adobe.
    I'd report a bug to the owner.

Comment

My 2 cent is they are making a minimalist Android plugin for Flash. They figured out this work on Linux also so they put it out to get a beta testing. They will maintain the same code base for both Linux and Android and can claim to support both.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

That was my reaction, too. Mozilla is something like two months away from dropping NPAPI support entirely - just after the next ESR release. So if it's still in Beta now, it's probably going to be dead-on-arrival by the time an actual release comes out...
        It is true that Firefox plan to drop NPAPI plugins, but except for flash

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

No. Many major sites still require flash. For example, I like to watch CBS's "The Late Show" with my breakfast. It requires flash. Also one of my banks requires flash to deposit checks. Now that Firefox is moving to multi-process and with this updated, there's almost no reason to need Chrome on my system anymore.
          Add to this that Firefox and others still use Flash if installed even if in your code you put HTML5 videos for Youtube... that's a shame...

Comment

Unlike pretty much everyone else, I'm glad that they might be releasing a new version of flash for linux. It isn't like I can make every site out there stop using it, so instead I'll be thankful for a new version.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              Unlike pretty much everyone else, I'm glad that they might be releasing a new version of flash for linux. It isn't like I can make every site out there stop using it, so instead I'll be thankful for a new version.
              Well. It's debatable. But it's not like we don't want flash...
              It's more like we can't stand it any longer...
              Flash had the potential to be a great thing, but adobe went the easy way, tried to take advantage of it's wide adoption to slack off, and we ended up with this thing, that works, but also eats away the life force of our devices...
              Fortunately there are already alternatives.
              Droping Flash would speed up their adoption and in the end bring more good than bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

When did you last play a flash game? (honestly interested) I can't remember ever seeing one for the last eight years.

Haven't had flash installed for at least three years and never had any problems except for Spotify Web Player, but as there is a native Spotify client it wasn't really a problem.
                I'm playing Zombidle on armorgames right now. Honestly, I've been having more fun playing Flash games (mostly tower defence, but there are other brain teasers out there) than brainless console ports in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Because they don't have 5 years to wait for their tablet support to work correctly, never mind 10 years for current features to be added?

Comment

AFAIU, there is lots of collaboration between Adobe and Google, so I guess that's where the updates come from. BUT... Google itself is trying to kill flash (they are making it "click-to.play" by default, starting in december IIRC), so this doesn't really make a lot of sense, IMO...

BTW, if anyone is interested: the actionscript engine is open-source: https://github.com/adobe/avmplus

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      I also add that Mozilla is planning to drop NPAPI support in Firefox very soon so this move may be rather pointless anyway.
                      they still plan to support flash, anything else is dead

the only thing i use npapi flash for was to download the video stream and then pause it and open it with smplayer
                      i tested that Friday and it still works

i did come across one thing that did need flash not the pepper flash in firefox trick
                      I wanted to play a bingo game on the aol website, but the game doesn't load. I have the freshplayer plugin installed, but all I get is a black square on the website. What can I do to make this work?

Comment

Working...
                      X