No announcement yet.

Adobe Returns To Updating NPAPI/Linux Flash Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically it is sort of minimalistic version from current branch, so better something then nothing

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Who said that they are serious again even with this flash :

11.2 was planned to be dropped in 2017., but instead of dropping you will get new one version 23 which even has less features then ever before but because of that they claim it is more secure, etc...

So this is just "better to have something then nothing" approach
      Note that I said "IF they are serious about Linux again"

I myself isn't holding my breath as they could well make Flash version 23 another long term supported release on Linux like it was with 11.2. It could well be true that they aren't planning to make version 23 for Linux to be on par with their Windows version so we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
        So... "2017 Year of the Linux Desktop"? Debate!
        For me the year of the linux desktop was 2 years ago. We have Steam, Unity Engine, UE4, 2k+ games, AAA titles, WPS Office (500$ Savings). If Adobe pulls their head out of their a55 they'll just be catching up with the big boys

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          didnt html5 replace flash a year ago already?
          No. Many major sites still require flash. For example, I like to watch CBS's "The Late Show" with my breakfast. It requires flash. Also one of my banks requires flash to deposit checks. Now that Firefox is moving to multi-process and with this updated, there's almost no reason to need Chrome on my system anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

Note that I said "IF they are serious about Linux again"

I myself isn't holding my breath as they could well make Flash version 23 another long term supported release on Linux like it was with 11.2. It could well be true that they aren't planning to make version 23 for Linux to be on par with their Windows version so we shall see.
            Well, hope never dies as always... but according to what they said there and what i get here, it is basic version with no other plans.

I guess some enterprise distro which needs very long but basic support is a main customer

Comment

And of course it works fine with Seamonkey ... just trying to simulate enterprise scenario

Comment

There is a lot of insecure informations on your site Michael - that is how Seamonkey complains

Comment

I don't have Flash installed in my Arch Linux machine and it should stay that way. The only browser that I would use that require Flash is Google Chrome

AutoDesk HomeStyler did require Flash, but I use Sweet Home 3D instead unless there are better alternatives to the programs... I couldn't get my head wrapped around in using LibreCAD.

Comment

There is only one website I occasionally use that requires Flash; YouTube. Viewing videos without Flash is fine. Unfortunately in order to add text to videos you upload, YouTube forces you to use a Flash application to type in the text, set the formatting and position, and set the time stamps between which to show it. It's so horribly unresponsive, and shocking that it's still a thing after all these years.

Google, stop using Flash applications on YouTube!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      I also add that Mozilla is planning to drop NPAPI support in Firefox very soon so this move may be rather pointless anyway.
                      That was my reaction, too. Mozilla is something like two months away from dropping NPAPI support entirely - just after the next ESR release. So if it's still in Beta now, it's probably going to be dead-on-arrival by the time an actual release comes out...

Comment

Working...
                      X