Firefox 51 To Support FLAC Audio Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because basically nobody cares about FLAC? Nobody sells uncompressed music and kids these days use all sorts of crappy headphones/speakers that even a 128kbit MP3 is wasted on them.
    I've ripped my CDs to FLAC, but mostly because I've wanted to have a bit-perfect backup.
    Bandcamp, Loudr.fm, Humble Bundles, and others I'm currently forgetting about will give you FLAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Bandcamp, Loudr.fm, Humble Bundles, and others I'm currently forgetting about will give you FLAC.
      Oh, Groupees bundles. There's one I was forgetting about. They've always got some new indie music bundle on.

Comment

Because basically nobody cares about FLAC? Nobody sells uncompressed music and kids these days use all sorts of crappy headphones/speakers that even a 128kbit MP3 is wasted on them.
        I've ripped my CDs to FLAC, but mostly because I've wanted to have a bit-perfect backup.
        FLAC is widely used amongst hi-fi enthusiasts. And there are multiple on-line music stores that sell their albums in FLAC format. I've bought a bunch of albums encoded in FLAC from hdtracks.com although I do agree with you on the kids these days not caring / not knowing the difference.

Personally I'll take FLAC support first over WebP support. Connectivity is so fast and so cheap most places now, saving a few kilobytes in image compression in loading a web page doesn't make a measurable difference. Seems like WebP might be of interest to the extremely high volume web sites, the biggest of the big, but I don't really see what tangible benefit it brings to consumers. Obviously if major sites start using WebP, we'll need the support in FF to browse them, but until then, it doesn't seem like a priority to me anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Never heard of bandcamp or loudr, but ok, some sources do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Opus support is already there. Has been for a long time now.
            I stand corrected, they already implemented the very latest version of Opus:
            RESOLVED (giles) in Core - Audio/Video: Playback. Last updated 2017-01-22.

Probably got the WebP discussion mixed up!

Comment

FLAC support is useless, nobody is going to stream that as it’s a huge waste of bandwidth, but at least it’s not a step in the wrong direction like almost everything else they do.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

FLAC is widely used amongst hi-fi enthusiasts. And there are multiple on-line music stores that sell their albums in FLAC format. I've bought a bunch of albums encoded in FLAC from hdtracks.com
                Yes, but aren't you likely to save those files to your disc and listen with Amarok or Rhythembox? I don't see FLAC streaming taking off.

Also, how many people could actually tell the difference between 320kbp/s mp3 and loseless?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  I don't understand Mozilla... it makes 6 years that all the developers are asking them to add WebP support, which is way better than any JPEG optimizations they're bringing up (WebP can compress alpha, JPEG can't, that's just it: JPEG can't compete that), it is open source and supported by Chrome since a few years now (so around 45% of the market shares), and it's still not in Firefox.

Yet, they managed to find time to add support for FLAC, an audio format that is great, but not extremely popular and, most of all, not supported by any other browser!

I would be glad to read this news if Mozilla was already on par with the other browsers, but it isn't so it's a bit sad to read that, it's like they don't know where to go.
                  When Chrome gets APNG support then Firefox will get WebP support.

Comment

Never heard of bandcamp or loudr, but ok, some sources do exist.
                    Add Junodownload to that list.

Comment

I'm surprised that the browsers explicitly need to enable support for formats. Isn't the goal of frameworks like GStreamer/Phonon to handle the file formats? For instance my system supports FLAC fully in all possible ways. The MIME database entry is there, the frameworks support it, the multimedia/music players support it. Firefox doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                      X