Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New QtWebKit Preview Adds NPAPI & Qt Plugin Support

Phoronix: New QtWebKit Preview Adds NPAPI & Qt Plugin Support

While upstream Qt developers continue focused on supporting Qt WebEngine as their Chromium-based browser engine environment, others meanwhile have been working on reviving Qt WebKit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they want NPAPI? It's dead, nobody makes anything in it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      You would be surprised.

Comment

Agreed, everything else is killing it off. Maybe that's why they are adding it but still, it should not be given a lifeline.

Comment

That's just what i was going to comment. Chrome and Firefox are killing NPAPI off very soon now, so I"m surprised they would take the time to add it.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You would be surprised.
            Would I though? Name one newish NPAPI plugin that is running on a device that is also going to be using an up-to-date Qt stack. That also isn't Flash because that really IS on deaths door.

Comment

Would I though? Name one newish NPAPI plugin that is running on a device that is also going to be using an up-to-date Qt stack. That also isn't Flash because that really IS on deaths door.
              Newish? This is not for making browsers, but for devices. These are not for users to install, but usually 3rdparty plugins used by someone with a HTML5 based stack. For instance HbbTv is often implemented using a NPAPI, some hardware accelerated video is implemented that way, etc. And they are usually old, already made and working with old WebKit versions.

Comment

Working...
              X