Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
    Funfact: KDE already got a CLA.
    Qt is dual-license and has a CLA because of that, KDE does not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Collaboration on mobile is not practical imho, Mir/Unity and Plasma Mobile are different things doing the same thing. It's like saying Android and iOS.
      The plasma mobile preview was an ubuntu-touch just with wayland+plasma instead oft mir+unity8. Which is not a that big change. The biggest challenge right now is to get a "proper" native Linux running in those devices due to manufacturers only shipping Android driver blobs.
      The difference between wayland and mir is not that big in this case.
      ​​​​​​just to be clear: using the work canonical has done there is fine since its open source but that doesnt match the "canonical is only stealing from foss and doesnt give anything back" that were very prominent from the KDE side before. The didnt point out they used canonical work like they demanded canonical to do when they usw things, like libhybris.

Application integration... aren't KDE apps working already in Unity? I'm not following it, but I thought Qt ran on anything.
      APPs are the showstopper in mobile. You dont have 20 billion apps on launch you dont get users and so you dont geht devs making more apps.
      Iirc plasma mobile wants to use the same APP toolkits like ubuntu-touch. So both OS would benefit from that.

Over all i hope this is one first step to stop that grudge and drama between canonical and KDE. The kubuntu Team did really suffer from the drama mainly driven by egos of individuals. And in the end it did hurt kde, too.
      There is enough to do and a fair but encouraging competition would help create gold alternatives to those big monopolists.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        Funfact: KDE already got a CLA.
        No, KDE has something called FLA and it's completely voluntary.

PS: There are many kinds of CLA, not only the "give me all the power to make proprietary software" kind.

Comment

I am glad to see KDE and Canonical getting along. I really hope this means they can work on having a similar API for their QML apps. With a similar QML API they could essentially run two desktops under one standard. There really is room for multiple Qt-based desktops, along with different work patterns and applications. This helps out users and developers. The more projects that contribute to Qt, the more Qt belongs to everyone (not referring to copyright of course).

Also, KWin not supporting Mir is irrelevant to this article. How in the world would KDE making a Wayland compositor along with a Mir compositor while still keeping KWIn compatible with X.org bring any benefit to anyone? Most KDE Frameworks and Applications should support Unity anyways. This makes KDE software an asset to any Qt shop, even if they make a competing desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Great news that will likely cause some butthurt in certain people.
            correct the froth in mouth Canonical/Ubuntu is spyware bloat and unstable, the purist Linux crowd (you know who you are) will make claims of spyware, slow unstable etc. and then tell all with full impunity use by x distro, far better than Ubuntu, folks who have never touched Unity will have opinions like Unity sucks, Unity is slow etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              No, KDE has something called FLA and it's completely voluntary.
              I know, being voluntary makes it an useful tool for those that already wanted to transfer ownership, nothing more.

Also KDE has a FRP, a document that states that relicensing of FLA stuff can happen automatically after a fair procedure as long as the license is a similar one (strong copyleft, weak copyleft, everyone's bitch... erm I mean permissive license are the big families), for big licensing changes there must be a public vote and stuff like that.

This stuff cannot be compared to Canonical's or Qt's CLA that are a prerequisite for contributing and allow the new copyright holder to do whatever with the code without asking anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
                correct the froth in mouth Canonical/Ubuntu is spyware bloat and unstable, the purist Linux crowd (you know who you are) will make claims of spyware, slow unstable etc. and then tell all with full impunity use by x distro, far better than Ubuntu, folks who have never touched Unity will have opinions like Unity sucks, Unity is slow etc.
                I'm a purist linux crowd and I claim Ubuntu is spyware, bloated and unstable, I then tell all with full impunity to use OpenSUSE, far better than Ubuntu, Unity sucks, Unity is slow etc.

Just kidding, Unity isn't that bad.

I and most people actually hate Canonical due to dumb dumb dumb choices that doomed many good projects. Unity, Upstart, Ubuntu Edge...

Comment

Just to be fair, KDE and Canonical have a long, productive, and mutually beneficial history that goes back a long ways, and this announcement just confirms and continues that tradition. Sure, there has been public acrimony between Canonical and some individuals known for their KDE and Ubuntu contributions but that shouldn't be conflated with the relationship between KDE and Canonical. Don't forget Kubuntu is a major distribution of KDE and a significant flavour of Ubuntu.

Comment

I'm a purist linux crowd and I claim Ubuntu is spyware, bloated and unstable, I then tell all with full impunity to use OpenSUSE, far better than Ubuntu, Unity sucks, Unity is slow etc.

I and most people actually hate Canonical due to dumb dumb dumb choices that doomed many good projects. Unity, Upstart, Ubuntu Edge...
                    Trying out something new is what open source is all about, for the sheep crowd there is always Microsoft. For those who think RH and Pottering are the chosen GODS, its an anathema for Linux. So does MIR make Ubuntu dumb?

Comment

The good projects got doomed for the negative publicity from many of the purists brigade, some had not even studied or tried these projects but passed judgement based on prejudice.

Comment

Working...
                      X