Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.8 To Finally Allow LLVMpipe, Drops EGL On X11 Option

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.8 To Finally Allow LLVMpipe, Drops EGL On X11 Option

There are several changes to KWin's OpenGL compositor support with the upcoming KDE Plasma 5.8 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-OpenGL-Render

how long for full wayland operational!?

Comment

...instead KDE developers want the games to specify to block the compositing...
      I'm sure that will work just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

I'm sure that will work just fine...
        Hmm, I have the same thoughts. I'm sure you can still specifically disable compositing for individual windows/games through Kwin configuration. Just more manual then the blanket option.

Comment

I think Catalyst will fix their bugs somewhere in future of the past

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            how long for full wayland operational!?
            Yeah I'm wondering this too. I try out wayland every time and it's steadily been improving but not all of my problems are sorted out.

Nice to see that LLVMpipe is supported though.

Comment

Originally posted by murraytony View Post
              I'm sure you can still specifically disable compositing for individual windows/games through Kwin configuration. Just more manual then the blanket option.
              Apparently there's this, but this decision still seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

Comment

Why did they take the GNOME-way with EGL?
                Configurability is why I (and I guess most other users) use KDE Plasma.

The proper way would have been to leave the GLX/EGL-Choice in the Compositor-Settings-GUI, but display a warning when EGL is selected.
                I had zero problems with EGL, and now I don't even know what my system uses without looking up something like 'cat /var/log/X.org.0.log | grep GLX [or EGL]'.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
                  The proper way would have been to leave the GLX/EGL-Choice in the Compositor-Settings-GUI, but display a warning when EGL is selected.
                  I had zero problems with EGL, and now I don't even know what my system uses without looking up something like 'cat /var/log/X.org.0.log | grep GLX [or EGL]'.
                  The warning is there already.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Apparently there's this, but this decision still seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.
                    The right direction is to bug game makers to fix their game to properly block compositing.

Comment

Working...
                    X