Plasma 5.8 Feature Freeze Next Month, To Be The First LTS Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
    Anyone know when the proprietary Nvidia driver will support Wayland?
    I assume you meant "properly support Wayland" as technically they support Wayland already, if your DE/toolkit supports EGLstreams instead of GBM that is the current standard.

Given average NVIDIA trends, 1-2 years later than Wayland goes mainstream and they finally get the message that they need to support GBM.

Comment

Which distributions are committed to stick with Plasma 5.8 LTS and the various point releases that will come in the upcoming years?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I assume you meant "properly support Wayland" as technically they support Wayland already, if your DE/toolkit supports EGLstreams instead of GBM that is the current standard.

Given average NVIDIA trends, 1-2 years later than Wayland goes mainstream and they finally get the message that they need to support GBM.
        Everything depends on RedHat RHEL8.
        Unlike Fedora, RH workstations (with nVidia hardware) are a considerable revenue source for RedHat, and if indeed RHEL8 will include official support for Wayland, they might just bite the bullet and support EGLStreams (under GNOME and possibly help port kwin).
        Same goes for SLES and KDE.

The, as the saying goes, is far from over.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
        X