GIMP Can Now Finally Handle WebP Image FIles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    There is no more edit button now unless youa re Premium subscriber, due to bots using the same trick to bypass vBullettin's great and powerful antispam filters.
    There's an easy fix for that. And as a bonus, you'll get Premium subscriber status!

Comment

I, personnaly, am not as much excited by webp (basically, the slightly better video codec - VPx - of webm turned into a slightly better competitor to jpeg), as I am excited by the fact that Xiph (of flac, vorbis, speex abd opus fame) are interested in spinning off their Daala-part of the AOM's AV1/NetAV into a still picture format.
      The amount of new techniques introduced in Daala make it quite promising, both as a still picture format, and as the collaboration with Cisco's Thor and Google's VPx for video codec.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Yes, but look at the blue stars in the original vs. the WebP image. The WebP has omitted almost all traces of blue color from those stars.
        If you can't notice it without reference, it's an acceptable artifact. ;-)

No such thing as a free lunch, it seems.
        I guess it's what « lossy » means. :-)

Comment

This can come in very handy. I've always opened and edited my WebP files like this: http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/pages/webp-file/ with PaintShop Pro, but it's nice to know we can do it with GIMP as well.

Comment

Working...
          X