GNOME Maps Should Now Work Again, Switches From Mapquest To Mapbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    That's actually a very good question, maybe the Web APIs of all these providers is highly different.

I mean there must have been a reason why the provider was hardcoded in the application, not a configuration value.

Probably because it is a very young application and hasn't reached the sophistication level yet that is needed for such infrastructure.
    Or it is written in a language/framework that doesn't support this type of extension mechanism.
    Well... It's written in Javascript, so it's that last bit as the reason for the rest of the statements I quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Well... It's written in Javascript, so it's that last bit as the reason for the rest of the statements I quoted.
      Well, since JavaScript itself can't do anything useful as there is no standard library, etc, it will be down the interpreter and its capabilities.

NodeJS could to plugins, JS environments like GNOME's Mutter can do extensions, as do heavily JS using application such as Firefox.

If at all a highly dynamic language like JS should make it easier to be extendable and adaptable, no?

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Well, since JavaScript itself can't do anything useful as there is no standard library, etc, it will be down the interpreter and its capabilities.

NodeJS could to plugins, JS environments like GNOME's Mutter can do extensions, as do heavily JS using application such as Firefox.

If at all a highly dynamic language like JS should make it easier to be extendable and adaptable, no?

Cheers,
        _
        There's a difference between a javascript environment that is loading self contained javascript files, and a javascript program. Javascript itself isn't designed in such a way where extensibility in that manner is really easy, but it's fine for self contained units such as web pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          There's a difference between a javascript environment that is loading self contained javascript files, and a javascript program. Javascript itself isn't designed in such a way where extensibility in that manner is really easy, but it's fine for self contained units such as web pages.

That's what I said, no?

Quite some JavaScript environments support dynamic loading and it is used by applications built on that environment to have an extension mechanism.

But maybe GNOME Shell and GNOME Maps are using different ones.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Working...
          X