Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indigo 4 Lets You Have Full Graphics Rendering Over OpenCL

Phoronix: Indigo 4 Lets You Have Full Graphics Rendering Over OpenCL

Many have hypothesized in the past about implementing full OpenGL for graphics over OverCL -- or now, implementing OpenGL directly over Vulkan -- while Glare Technologies with their Indigo renderer appears to be one of the first renderers to achieve 100% GPU rendering over OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Indigo 4 Lets You Have Full Graphics Rendering Over OpenCL

Many have hypothesized in the past about implementing full OpenGL for graphics over OverCL -- or now, implementing OpenGL directly over Vulkan -- while Glare Technologies with their Indigo renderer appears to be one of the first renderers to achieve 100% GPU rendering over OpenCL...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...aphics-Over-CL
    Comment

Game over OverGL

Comment

The first sentence is totally misleading.

This is not about implementing OpenGL using some other API, but simply a (non real-time) OpenCL renderer

Comment

Michael, your opening sentence is going to spread confusion about this project. It is not "implementing full OpenGL for graphics over OpenCL". It is a 3D renderer for modeling software: *static* scenes, not real-time, and definitely not interactive gaming. The advantage that Indigo claims here is that by using OpenCL and CUDA they have been able to render scenes faster than before, which sounds about right. But none of this has anything to do with OpenGL.

Comment

Agreed, it is just another OpenCL renderer like Cycles or Luxrender. This text is indeed misleading and I clicked because of that, so maybe it just served it's purpose...

Comment

And since the GPU version has more limitations and missing features than the GPU version (Nothing against the Indigo team, GPU render engines are hard) it really doesn't differentiate itself from LuxRender, whose GPU mode has had: "...first renderers to achieve 100% GPU rendering over OpenCL..." for a while.

That is after all what your LuxMark benchmark is doing...

Comment

Hi guys, I'm the guy at Glare who contacted Michael, one of two Indigo engine devs (and former LuxRender dev).

I probably should have been clearer in my mail to him what Indigo is; as some of you have (rather harshly!) pointed out, it's not an OpenGL render engine, but an unbiased, physically-based renderer.

"Just another OpenCL renderer" - are there really so many of these around at the moment? Most GPU renderers tend to be for CUDA (I've heard that Cycles also prefers to use CUDA), and they seem to have a Pascal compatibility problem at the moment...

Each rendering engine has its pros and cons, and with Indigo image quality gets top priority. Current comparisons against Lux and Cycles seem to indicate that it's also a good deal faster / lower noise for the same time, here are some examples from Blender users (I tried to attach but lack permissions, so one is from my dropbox):

I'm a big fan / long time lurker of Phoronix and Linux is an excellent performer for Indigo, so as I offered to Michael, if you guys have any questions about GPU ray tracing or physically-based rendering in general, please feel free to ask! It doesn't have to be about Indigo in particular of course, and I try to be objective as possible

We're announcing a new benchmark soon, similar to LuxMark, with the hope of making it useful to review sites (which is the reason I contacted Michael). If you'd like an early look at it (we'll add online results database still), you can grab it from http://indigorenderer.com/indigobench

Comment

lycium thanks for the filling in the gaps.
                  The quality on the Indigo does look better and smaller sizes too it seems but i am one of those that's a bit skeptical when it comes from the developers them selves (PR) but this seems like a smaller project so i don't think it's much PR involved.
                  Great work and i really hope that the benchmarks turns out to be useful with PTS and that we get a new good OpenCL (CUDA) benchmark when testing hardware and drivers.
                  Does it work good with the open source drivers from AMD and Intel?

Comment

Nille_kungen I don't blame you at all for being skeptical hearing it from us, there's a whole lot of hot air in the rendering engine market! If it makes any difference, I used to work on LuxRender (with the original author, Radiance, who later started Octane Render) and am just some normal programmer guy in a tiny 3-man company, not a Megacorp PR drone or something Regardless, I try to be quantitative and specific, cite sources and don't die from criticism etc.

We haven't tried it with the opensource drivers, sorry, but hopefully someone will give it a spin! We need our linux boxen stable for development purposes, and I understand the opensource drivers are a little less developed / less likely to be used by professional customers. Drivers are absolutely crucial for GPU compute applications, so I imagine there could be very large differences.

Comment

Working...
                    X