Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flubba86
    replied
    There's a couple of really important things to point out in that changelog.

EFI: many improvements, for example allow to boot from USB
    This is fantastic news. I have a USB stick with Debian 32bit and 64bit installed on it that I boot into to use at Uni and at workplaces where I need a Linux environment. I use an EFI bootloader on the stick to choose what image to boot into, or to boot the host OS.
    Unfortunately the computer labs at Uni have the boot order locked out, so I cannot boot to USB. Instead I use Virtualbox and boot the USB in the VM. I tried forever to get the USB stick to be detected and to boot in EFI mode in the VM, but in the end I had to resort to putting GRUB2 on the stick and run it without EFI.

Linux installers: no longer rely on DKMS for module rebuilding
    That one confused me a bit when I manually updated from the ubuntu-supplied 5.0.x version to 5.1RC1. I saw that the old DKMS module was uninstalled, and it didn't install a new DKMS module. I was confused and I couldn't work out how to get the kernel module built. When I opened the GUI to start a VM, it complained that the kernel module was the wrong version. I just rebooted the system and it worked correctly, the init script now builds the kernel module automatically (without DKMS) on boot if it doesn't have one. I now realize I could have simply unloaded the old kernel module (with modprobe -r) and then run the init script myself to get the kernel module built.

Leave a comment:

• ruthan
    replied
    What about performance and 3D support?, because here VBox sucks a lot..

Leave a comment:

• flubba86
    replied
    Is this identical to the RC1 from a few days ago?
    I know Virtualbox usually takes the last good RC and re-releases it as stable, so I'm guessing it is the same as RC1 unless there was a short RC2 somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Does anybody know if they have gotten seamless display support for Windows 10 guests added back in?
    Having to devote a whole virtual desktop to Windows is annoying when seamless support worked better for Windows 7.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic VirtualBox 5.1 Officially Released

VirtualBox 5.1 Officially Released

Phoronix: VirtualBox 5.1 Officially Released

Oracle announced the release this afternoon of VM VirtualBox 5.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-5.1-Released
Working...
X