Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 48 Will Take The First Rust Code Into Production

Phoronix: Firefox 48 Will Take The First Rust Code Into Production

Mozilla will be taking their first Rust programming language code into production with Firefox 48...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought the URL parser i already integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      I thought the URL parser i already integrated.
      This isn't the URL parser, but a video stream parser for MP4 content.

Comment

Originally posted by c1376095
        Ah, Phoronix comments -- cancer as usual.
        Nah, it's just Master5000 being on a trolling spree these past few days. I view it as entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

This isn't the URL parser, but a video stream parser for MP4 content.
          What i think Steffo means is that if the URL parser is already there, than this isn't the first Rust code to make it into Firefox, as the article implies...

Comment

They should look to use Rust for various security sensitive code such as parsers, lexers and interpreters.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Nah, it's just Master5000 being on a trolling spree these past few days. I view it as entertainment.
              Did I miss something? XD
              Originally posted by Michael
              The first bit of Rust coming inside Firefox is a media parser. A parser for the ISO Base Media Format (MP4 video) was written in Rust and is being added to Firefox 48.
              So, if you're running nightly, it's been in there for a while? Nightly's on 50.0a1 (since I last updated, anyway).
              Not that it helps any, videos either don't work or require flash, except for a few sites... :/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                They should look to use Rust for various security sensitive code such as parsers, lexers and interpreters.
                If they figured out by themselves they need to build a whole new language with security in mind, I think they have a pretty good idea where to use it first

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  Did I miss something? XD
                  Yes, some low-grade trolling by Master5000 got deleted.

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  So, if you're running nightly, it's been in there for a while? Nightly's on 50.0a1 (since I last updated, anyway).
                  Not that it helps any, videos either don't work or require flash, except for a few sites... :/
                  Shouldn't be the case, I'm running nightly and video works everywhere, all you need is ffmpeg. And yeah, nightlies have had the Rust mp4 parser for a while now.

Comment

Been using 48 for a while, as I'm on the beta channel. From the end-user perspective, there is no functional difference at all. Which is good I guess. There's only a small UI change compared to 47.

Comment

Working...
                    X