Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Users Are Still Running Into Multi-Screen Issues

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Users Are Still Running Into Multi-Screen Issues

KDE Plasma 5.7 was advertised as having better multi-screen support, but it turns out there's still more work to do as various problems in the open-source Linux desktop stack are leading to a less than ideal experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For me this is the reason why I've switched to GNOME. Besides all applications are more basic and I do definitely miss features. The only relict that reminds me of former KDE times is my daily use of KDE's konsole.

Comment

Yes get multi monitor working and rework notifications and it would be a pretty much perfect classic keyboard/mouse desktop imo.

Just tried kde neon, it used 300 mb of ram. About what my xubuntu install runs at. Pretty and efficient. I like it. Just some minor things bug me.

Edit to clarify what I don't like about notifications:

If you disable pop ups in the notification system tray, the pop up then goes to the top centre. Why doesn’t the fall-back notification pop-ups have an "off" button. I like the notification icon where you can click and see all previous notifications, I just don’t like not being able to disable pop ups globally.
      Last edited by DIRT; 11 July 2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        For me this is the reason why I've switched to GNOME. Besides all applications are more basic and I do definitely miss features. The only relict that reminds me of former KDE times is my daily use of KDE's konsole.
        *Sign*
        Maybe I will test KDE Plasma 5.8 or 5.9 again. I had too many crashes with 5.4 and 5.5.
        Gnome 3 just works and it's usable.

Comment

Fwiw, I have 4 AMD-based dev machines (CPU and GPU), 3 desktop, 1 laptop (Toshiba w/Llano) most just for testing. Two of the desktops are 7+ years old with HD4550 and HD6570, the third is newer (370X) and is my primary dev box (QT-based apps, some using KDE FRameworks). All boxes are generally on the latest openSUSE Tumbleweed ISO and occasionally I might add a dev kernel from the Pontrostroy repos. The desktops have been on Plasma5 since the **very** early releases, yet I've been able to weather thru with daily usage (using both QTCreator and KDevelop) and always with the opensource AMD stack (never really found fglrx useful for my needs).

Each of the desktops is set up with multi-screen, 2 connected through an receiver on to the HDTV. The third is connected directly to the HDTV. That does make a difference, especially if the receiver "turns on" the HDMI output even if it's not used. I've seen the bug documented with windows showing up off-screen when the receiver is on but the HDTV is off, for those machines connected to the receiver, though not since the Plasma5.6-5.7/QT5.6 update. I haven't yet seen the "blank screen" bugs mentioned on the Intel setups with regards to suspending or unplugging, even in the early Plasma5 days. IME, the AMD driver has worked well in this area on my hardware.

Testing a pre-release of QT/Plasma on TW on bare metal is quite easy. For those interested, you can just point to the Factory QT/KDE repos and off you go. In addition, if you want the latest X/Mesa/Kernel stack, you can add Pontrostroy's repos and generally you'll have "the latest" for testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            I call bulshit. KDE applications run just fine under Gnome.

Comment

KDE Plasma 5 was the reason I switched to XFCE. I jumped from kubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and the new Plasma was unbearable in my multi-monitor setup. Panels overlapping after login, the "task manager" widget (the bar with the open windows) unable to show the windows of the monitor it belongs, dragging the widgets to the panel requires pixel perfect precision and many other issues. I like KDE for trying to be modern, beautiful and customizable but Plasma 5 is unusable for me. It's better to do one thing and do it well that trying to do everything and fail on everything, that's my impression with KDE.

PS: I am running on nVidia

Comment

Works here just fine on Unity with more than one screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

I call bulshit. KDE applications run just fine under Gnome.
                  Nobody said anything different. Not even remotely

Comment

Multi monitor works great for me, albeit I didn't try this brand new release (I don't have access to my desktop now). It has been so since ~5.3 I would say. Sure, it was pretty broken in the first releases, with even the lack of a screen configuration panel.

Comment

Working...
                    X