KDE Frameworks 5.24 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishB8 View Post

Kinda crashy, but mostly works. Not all features are ported though. It seems like it might be ready for normal use after another 2 release cycles.
    As far as a I know in plasma5.8 wayland will be in feature parity with X. And 5.8 itself will be a long term release (>=1.8months). But anyway that long term support won't be applied on wayland session but only for x session
    Here is the read: http://jriddell.org/2016/07/08/plasm...d-performance/
    Last edited by smartalgorithm; 10 July 2016, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      Krunner stopped working with the 5.7 release on Arch, hopefully that will fix it
      It works here and there is no open bug in the Arch bugtracker - check your installation.

Comment

This statistics looks old enough, xine -> yeah, 10 years ago. I can't image to compare Xfce and KDE, you can use Xfce, when you have no claims.

Comment

Bump, plasma 5 works blazing fast, i use it from 5.1 on e-350, 1.6 GB ram. Don't make me laugh, now i'm on skylake, with browser is less than 1G
          Code:
          inxi -b
          System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.6.2-2 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.95
                    Distro: KaOS (2016)
          Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: TravelMate P238-M v: V1.00
                    Mobo: Acer model: TravelMate P238-M v: V1.00
                    Bios: Insyde v: V1.00 date: 11/05/2015
          Battery    BAT0: charge: 20.3 Wh 61.9% condition: 32.8/33.1 Wh (99%)
          CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 499/2800 MHz
          Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
                    Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: N/A Resolution: [email protected]
                    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
                    GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
          Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                    driver: r8169
                    Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
          Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)                                                             
          Info:      Processes: 161 Uptime: 8:04 Memory: 998.7/3861.7MB                                 
                    Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
          KDE is best what you can use.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Yeah, they made it easier for themselves but more messy for the users (mainly because different components are released at different times in a semi dependent way from some other component version, which to us users is a mess).

I still didn't learn what "frameworks" and other codewords stand for in KDE5 and they expect users to track, mix and match the versions of different components like a jigsaw puzzle? - not gonna happen.
            Well, KDE/Plasma sits on top of frameworks which sits on top of Qt. If you don't release Qt when it's ready and instead wait for KDE, then you don't get test coverage.
            Distros are supposed to manage bundling these together, but they mostly do such a good job that we needed the neon project just to see how it should be done.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No, you can't compare fast and stable Xfce to slow and buggy KDE. With my 3.8GHz quad core cpu and ssd, KDE shows boot splash screen and its very slow to login. KDE has 3 start menus and none of them are freely configurable as Xfce whisker menu and desktop (In Xcfe you can freely position panels and items in panels). Xfce has not got any updates for a year, it is not broken like KDE and Gnome3 are. After boot Xfce uses 2X less ram than KDE and Xfce works fast everywhere while KDE does not work.
            Isn't it easier to just link to one of your previous posts? Cause you really, really, really sound like a broken record.
            Better yet, start your own blog and start spreading the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

The "no bug report" is a bliss. The cause is either lack of bugs or lack of testers.

KDE gave up on proper testing years ago. Now it is 3 async cogs grinding its teeth. Arch users are hurt by this as first frontier testers. These days XFCE is more popular than KDE.
              https://www.archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics
              Actually, I reported the bug here, to the KDE team : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365248

There is something wrong with libqalculate apparently

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Yeah, they made it easier for themselves but more messy for the users (mainly because different components are released at different times in a semi dependent way from some other component version, which to us users is a mess).
                Not really, most users don't build from source, for them the package system (on Linux) or the installer (on Windows/macOS) takes care of that.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Interesting to see that frameworks is at 5.23 on Debian sid. Desktop is 5.6. QT 5.6
                  How is everyone going now on other distributions?

Comment

Working...
                  X